• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Fairbanks Morse ZC

C

CLowe

I have a 1 1/2 HP Fairbanks Morse ZC which has a radiator and a fan, the fan is attached to one of the flywheels. I cant seem to figure out how the thing should work, if you are suppose to fill it all the way up with water or not. It will run for about thirty minutes then boil the water out the top which is about a one inch hole. It seems like its getting too hot. This engine is on a long base I assume so that something can be bolted behind it. I would post a picture but I know less about computers then I know about this engine! Thanks for any Help. Clayton

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
It was made with a generator behind it. It uses a "DRY" radiator. Fill the hopper with the filler spout on the side of the engine which will fill it about 3/4 full, and the fan cools the steam as it enters the dry radiator, ( Actually it is a steam condenser) and as the water condenses, it will run back in to the hopper. They did this so that the generator could run for long periods without having to constantly check the water in the hopper. The oil field "ZC" engines used the same type of radiator on top of the hopper with a belt drive fan.:D

C

CLowe

OK I was filling it to the top of the hopper. The only way it has to fill is thru the hole in the top of the hopper. Most of my experience is with hit and miss engines not throttle governed should the hopper get so hot that you cant hold your hand on it.

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
Yeah, They DO run hot. They would start with gasoline and then as the engine warmed up, they would switch to kerosene. Had to run very hot to vaporize the low grade fuel and not foul up the cylinder and spark plug.