• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairbanks Z 6hp Magneto

watersedge

Registered
hi all just got a6 hp throttle gov engine. It has a bracket on it that looks like I could take the mag off the 2 hp on put it on the 6 or did thet use a different mag thanks in advance

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Re: fairbank Z 6hp mag

A few options. If the AB 33 or 34 mag, the trip finger will be a different shape and length. if a rotary mag, type R or J, the gear will be a different diameter than the one on the 2 HP. If san ignitor engine, unknown by me

tperson

Registered
Re: fairbank Z 6hp mag

Watersedge - A couple of words of advice as I have a FMZ 6hp and am currently working through the same challenge. The FMZ's used the AB 33/34 until 1926-ish and then switched to the R and eventually the J rotary mags. If your crank/gov gear is helical cut (gears cut at an angle), I would strongly suggest you install the AB 33/34 flipper mag as finding the helical mag impulse gear is (almost) impossible; I gave up after a year of looking and built one. If your crank/gov gears are straight-cut, the choice is yours; the 35 tooth straight-cut impulse gears are around, as are reasonably priced FMJ mags and impulse couplers.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

Tom