• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Fairbanks ZC-118 & 208 Horsepower Curves

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/30/2019
Anybody know where I can get torque and horsepower curves for a ZC-118 & 208? They'll be running on natural gas and propane.

Pete Nichols

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/06/2011
Rex,
Your 118 is : 4-9 hp, rpm range is 500-700, torque is 68 ft. lbs.

The 208 is :6 -12 hp , rpm range is 400 -675, torque is 94 ft. lbs.

Pete :wave:

Thats what the book says .

Last edited:

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
IMHO there has never been a 118 that has made 5 hp let alone 9. You run one 700 rpm you're taking a big risk. I'd say 3-4 hp max on the 118 and maybe 7-8 on the 208. Try to keep the RPM's under 500 on either. I don't have a clue on torque. What is the application?

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/30/2019
These are for backup generators.

I've received scans from the original FM documents. The charts show horsepower and torque curves which aren't very curvy at all. There are also points on the charts indicated for best performance and fuel consumption. These are large files and I'll have to figure out how to extract them from the PDFs to small images I can post them here.

Last edited:

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Is there a recommended HP in the generator manual?

In my opinion again, slow speed gas engines don't make a great power plant for a generator as most generators need to see much higher RPM's causing the engine to be loaded.

Using these gas engines on oil wells we've found it's best to only use 60% of any rated HP. The poor engine will last much longer that way 24-7.

Trd Harper

Registered
These are for backup generators.

I've received scans from the original FM documents. The charts show horsepower and torque curves which aren't very curvy at all. There are also points on the charts indicated for best performance and fuel consumption. These are large files and I'll have to figure out how to extract them from the PDFs to small images I can post them here.
Rex, You should be able to post a link to the PDF file.
I have read a lot of original FM literature on the ZC engines but have never seen any torque figures but would certainly like to. I have a ZC 739 and a ZC 346.
Ted

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Then I'd use 60% of the rated hp to get there. A 118 would do 3 hp ok, so that's 1.5 KV. Not much of a generator. This is why I don't think these engines work well for this application.

I personally own several FM's of all sizes. I have a couple of 346's and I've been planning on using one of them on a 5 KV but I've never gotten it all rigged up. I have my doubts about what it would do.

DavidH

Registered
208 Fairbanks Morris Service manual

Looking for a engine service manual for a 208 Fairbanks 1 1/2 horse?