• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fairmont Speeder Engine

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I've had this thing for better'n 20 years. Had it running once and was so impressed I swore I'd NEVER run it again. Satan's spawn in cast iron form. Today, My son dragged it out of the weeds and wants to get it going. It has great compression and it will run with a little tinkering. He likes it. I HATE it. Anyway he would like a little info on it. Look at the pix and see what you can tell him about it. He will post back here later.

Attachments

loggerhogger

Registered
Re: Fairmont speeder engine

It is a two stroke engine, and can be reversed by killing the spark, throwing the timing lever over, and turning the switch back on while the engine is still turning. they were used on railroad speeder cars. Speed is regulated by throttle.

Max Cox

Registered

I was working on one that looks like yours just today.
I don't know much about it. Ours is complete, except for the adapter to the exhaust pipe. In the picture the carb is off , it's soaking in solvent to get the gunk out. Evaporated 12:1 gas/oil mix leaves a real mess.

What model is it? The only mark I have found is on the water hopper, PB 203-1. It does have an all aluminum F4 carb.

Max
Having fun at Laws

Attachments

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019

Why would you store that engine in the weeds? :shrug: :confused:

Clark Bigger

Registered

cool! are you bringing that to allegany? if it comes up for sale let me know..I need one of that type

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Okay fellas, Cory and I put the Fairmont on some 4x4's and went thru the carb & wired it up. We rocked it against compression a few times to prime it with the choke on. First time thru compression- it started! It is loud, smokey, obnoxious, fast and I guess, sorta cool. A giant Maytag. There is no muffler at all. What does a muffler look like for this Fairmont? I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. My guess is the number would have been on the section car. Any idea of horsepower? Clark, we'll probably take this to Port Allegany show.:wave:

Last edited:

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019

There is a oblong bolster on top of the crankcase,between the flywheels. These engines are USUALLY stamped on this bolster as to model. I would GUESS it to be a QHB 6 HP by what I can see,but not positive. If nobody else comes up with more info for you,I will do some measuring on some of mine & let you know how to figure it out for sure for HP. :brows:

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020

My QHB had no muffler, just a flattened piece of pipe with holes drilled in the sides. I am pretty sure that this was the original set up. Your description of it running is apt, I was always afraid it was going to take off or blow up:eek:. They coast forever after you tun off the spark.

Dirk Jr

Registered

Okay fellas, Cory and I put the Fairmont on some 4x4's and went thru the carb & wired it up. We rocked it against compression a few times to prime it with the choke on. First time thru compression- it started! It is loud, smokey, obnoxious, fast and I guess, sorta cool. A giant Maytag. There is no muffler at all. What does a muffler look like for this Fairmont? I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. My guess is the number would have been on the section car. Any idea of horsepower? Clark, we'll probably take this to Port Allegany show.:wave:
Fairmont only offered an automotive type muffler as an option for some of the speeders. Fairmont straight piped the speeders right up yo the end of production.

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020

I built a "stack" pipe for mine. Because, i couldn't run it on my show trailer for all of the smoke rolling out the underside, and all the noise!:eek:...The vertical stack tames the noise and pushes the smoke and fumes up, and away, from the crowd...Works great!:D

Speeder77

Registered
First, congrats on your engine. It is a Fairmont and possibly a QBA-B or earlier model. It uses a water hopper - open jacket cooling system.

I'm told that most folks won't take these to engine shows, because it runs fast, loud, and so on. It is an odd one at a show where most motors are hit and miss, steam, etc.

I am more familiar with the Fairmont OD and RO series, as well as the Sylvester KP motors, and the Fairbanks Morse/Sheffield series.

Regards!

RJ

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Your QHB uses 12:1 fuel to oil ratio. SAE 40 NON Detergent oil. Use High test gas for best running. DO NOT use the modern 2 cycle oils in it, they will not supply suffecient lube to the plain bronze con rod bearing. Use oil based cup grease in the mains, if they have grease fittings or cups. DO NOT use soap complex base greases (modern disc brake wheel bearing)- the fuel/oil mix will turn soap base grease into a caustic mess in the bearings.

The original exhaust was a pipe about a foot long, pointed straight down under the work car on which the engine was mounted. The pipe was flattenned to 1/4 the diameter, to make a little back pressure for the exhaust. If you make your own exhaust, I would not point it up - you could get 'black rain' (used, burned SAE 40 oil), that will make a real mess of anything nearby. Depending on the openning under the engine, I have made exhaust pipes out of copper plumbing fittings. I used M type tubing and pressure type fittings. I have made several tractors that are powered with the Fairmonts. One used a QBA 8-13 HP, the other a type RO, 4-8 HP. I started with Wheel Horse riding tractor frames.

As for speed - actual engine speed can be from barely ticking over up to about 1600 RPM. Speed can be controlled by both the engine throttle and the engine timing lever. As stated in an earlier post, the engine can be safely reversed on the fly.

To see a couple of videos of the tractor, check Youtube for 'Mackey Home Made Tractor Complete!!!' There are 4 or 5 videos of the tractor with the ROC engine.
Andrew

Marc P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2014
Ours is an RQ-C series 8-13 HP (1945). We still have the aluminum tag on the hopper and the serial # (and the 30 overbore stamp) is on the boss at the upper rear of the crankcase. They did use a piece of steel pipe, smashed shut at the end and a bunch of holes bored in them as factory mufflers. They are loud. We have a steel pipe with an inlet and an outlet on ours and some old food processor graters in it for baffles (blew most of them out years ago) and it helpd the noise considerably. Advance your timing arm and it will slow down and quiet down as well, we have set ours before where it will "jack" back and forth (we call this washing machine mode) for minutes at a time.

Ours is on a small tractor that will pull a 16 foot trailer. We had horrible luck with champion sparkplugs (d-16 if I remember correct) and settled on an NGK screwed into an antifowler/brazed into a busted out porcelain champion base, same plug ran it for years. At low speeds they flood easily, open the drain cock in the rear bottom of c-case and it'll clear itself out, if it's dead rock it back and forth a few times by hand.

One of our buddies has one mounted of his trailer and blows the smoke through the deck, that helps on noise and smoke.

Since they are two cycle they will reverse, our tractor has no tranny, just the engine for directional change, as said before, kill the coil, coast it down, advance or retard your timer, at a slow (near stopped) rpm, hit your coil and it will reverse. If it is too fast it will continue on in the original direction and will hammer on your spark plug but will not hurt the engine, it's how they were made.

They don't have governors, that's your job. Most Fairmonts I have seen have been running too fast for me. If you ever get carbon build up and get it hot and it diesels on you, choke the snot out of it to kill it. It happened to me once, my britches were never the same after that. Fairmonts are fun and draw alot of attention, especially because of their reversing.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
We always stop our Fairmonts by shutting off the fuel valve. Keeps the crap fuel they sell nowdays from gumming up the carb!

We have not had good luck with champion plugs in the Fairmonts either. Currently we are using Autolite plugs, and are not having fouling problems.

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
If I recall, the factory manual for the OD says specifically not to shut down the engine by shutting off the fuel. The fuel provides the lubrication to the bearings and as was noted above, the engines can coast for a good while after shutdown. Shutting off the fuel can cause damage to the bearings.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
When the proper oil is used (SAE 40 NON Detergent), there is plenty of oil left inside the engine to lube the internal parts. The engine must be at slow idle when shut down. My QBA 8-13 HP, stopped within 30 seconds of shut down, and would rock back and forth about 10 times, as it had very good compression. If I remember right, the OD is a later smaller bore engine, no?(4 to 6 HP?) I would not use modern oils with the early Fairmonts. I have heard of people using 16 or 20 to 1 with 'modern' 2 stroke lubes, in the O and RO series, and have heard of semi-seizures for those who did it. Some other guys swear to it, but I would not take the chance.:p
Andrew:)

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The last time we ran the Fairmont we used sae 30w ND oil. It worked OK for running as a display. I wouldn't put it on the rails and run it though as I don't think the lighter body oil would hold up. We looked around here for sae40w nd. There was none to be found. We were lucky to find the 30w, and of all places..we found it in a Dollar General store!:O