• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

FB/Morse-Need a Part- Morse Fairbanks Ser# 833745-1942? Babbit?

LShap1777

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2008
Hi Guys,

Started a new thread for a part. I have a throttled Morse Fairbanks 3 hp type c Z engine. Ser # 833745. 1942? approx. I need the "main bearing liner-lower" part #zac23d-which is the lower support main bearing .

Ed(Hit and Miss), can not get it. I have the old part, and it was cracked in two, the long way. I am reluctant to run the engine with this cracked part. I JB welded it together, but I do not think this will hold up when the engine is running. If anyone has this, I will be glad to buy it. I got this engine siezed, and this is my first engine. I just do not want to take a chance with such an integral engine part.

Any input?

Thanks,

Larry

Attachments

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
do you have access to a lathe? there might be someone out there who could make it out of bearing grade bronze or make the back part of the bearing and line it with the babbited part for you. good luck

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
Looks like a "ZC" bearing. Aren't the upper and lower bearings identical? Swap them!:O....Put the good one on the bottom to support the crankshaft, and place the cracked one on the top shell. Shim up the bearing good an snug and RUN IT!....Unless your're gonna' work the engine hard, I doubt it will ever hurt a thing.:shrug:
Jus' my two cents.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Looks like a "ZC" bearing. Aren't the upper and lower bearings identical? Swap them!:O....Put the good one on the bottom to support the crankshaft, and place the cracked one on the top shell. Shim up the bearing good an snug and RUN IT!....Unless your're gonna' work the engine hard, I doubt it will ever hurt a thing.:shrug:
Jus' my two cents.
I agree!

If it's only cracked and not broken in two, it will be fine.

Take care - Elden :)
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/

LShap1777

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2008
Hi Guys,

The bearing was cracked in two pieces. The top and bottom bearings are not the same. I JB welded them back together. I suppose I could try it the way it is. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Has a noise, I shut her down.

Thanks,

Larry