• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Feild & Brundage / Racine Sattley

BobRR

Registered
How many of these are out there and what colors do you have?Racine- Sattley(Wards) or the feild&Brundage w?BobRR

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
Re: feild&brundage/racine sattley

I have a 1.5hp Sattley, Field built that is red. I used to have a 3hp Wolverine, Field built that was green. I have an original brochure on the Field type W engines showing the green color and pen stripes. I have seen Sattley engines that were black originally also.

Doug Ourada

Registered

I have a 1.5 hp and a 5 hp Sattley that are both black. I have an original brochure stating the gasoline engines were black and the kerosene versions were brown.

Doug

Bob Brown

Registered

I have 2, 1.5 hp and 1, 2.5 hp. they are all black as per the brochure that Doug has. I have also seen them red. Bob Brown

R

RustyironinMO

I have a 7 that was origonally red and a 5 thay the main body of the engine was origonally silver and the flywheels were painted dark green and it looks to be an origonal color also my engine is missing the tag is there a serial number anywhere on the engine and all of the casting numbers start with CC does that mean anything does anyone know where I can get e repo tag for it Thanks Kris

Greg-N-CA

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2019

I have a 3.5 hp Sattley that I purchased as a basket case over 10 years ago. It had been disassembled and sandblasted, that is how I acquired it and its still in the same condition. It needs to have sleeve installed, does anyone know what the clearance should be between the piston and cylinder? I keep putting it on the back burner, maybe its time to reassemble it and bring it back to life.

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019

BobRR said:
How many of these are out there and what colors do you have?Racine- Sattley(Wards) or the feild&Brundage w?BobRR
I keep a roster on Field-Brundage engines. I have a list of about 90 engines total. I break the list down to the early Fields with number up to 5560, last of the side shafts, and those after starting with the Wolverines that only were made for a year or so before a lawsuit stopped them from using that name because some other company was using it. They then called them Type W and then they made Sattley's for Montgomery Wards. I also have a Elmore name as being made by F-B. There are over 40 engine listed in the second section. I started this roster over 30 years ago and have added numbers when I could get them. There are probably many more that are not on my roster. I know some of these owners are no longer with us and the engines have scattered. I have a color brochure on the Wolverine but have nothing on the Sattley's. I have 3 early Fields (one the only 35 HP known) and have some info on them. I hope this is of some help. John Davidson

BobRR

Registered

The one I'm putting back together has a lot of original red paint.(no.35xxx) A friend has a older one(no.24xxx)that when restored was put back black.He thinks that was the original color. Do you know what yr. that brochure you guys mention was printed? What yr. did Brundage go out of business? I noticed in the auto. link to the archives at the bottom of this thread that Harry and Randy show a couple sattley's. I think they maybe nelson bros.? as the governor and water hoppers are different. Any other info out there?Thanks BobRR

Joseph Roth

Registered

I have a 2 1/2hp Sattely that I am restoring. It's missing the tag so I am not positive that it IS a Sattely?:confused: There was remnants of green paint on some parts.
Joseph

Roger D. Green

Registered

Hi,
I have what I think are two Field & Brundage engines.:D
Neither one have a tag, where might I find a serial number on the engine?:confused:
Here my thread with my latest Field & Brundage ~3HP H&M
Named; Sattley, Alamo, Wolverine, or What do you Think?? (and hope the link works)
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28004
The attached picture is of my other one I believe it is a ~7HP TG
Thanks
Roger

Attachments

BobRR

Registered

Joe. Sattley is wards trade name. Nelson brothers also made engines for them after Brundage. I don't know if the 2 1/2 hit&miss has the same governor as the 1 1/2hp. but if it does it will be a 3 stepped spool on the end of the crank.?(See Rogers 3Hp. pict.) Can you post a pict.? Roger. Both of your engines appear to be built by Brundage Judging by the Hoppers, base and the speed control on the 3hp (is it a 3 or 2 1/2hp?) Wendel mentions a 2 1/2 but not 3hp. by brundage?.I believe that the spooled speed control is brundage for wards only?? I have my engine cleaned up pretty good and will see if I can find some no. other then whats on the tag. but so far haven't seen any.? Just learning about these so keep the info and questions coming! Anyone have a wards catalogue from the teens? The Black and red engines really have me curios WAS it a Sears thing??BobRR

BannerBoy

Registered

They look pretty sharp in black! Here's a picture of my recently restored 1-1/2hp Racine Sattley. When I was restoring the engine I found a number cast upside down in the hopper side of 5-25. From everything I've heard they weren't made after 1917 or so, but it looks like a casting date to me. Does anyone have an idea about it?

Attachments

Roger D. Green

Registered

HI,
On my engines, it is just a guess on horse power, because there isn't a tag.
If you use the yellow bible, a 4" bore x 6" stroke it is a 2 1/2" by the MW list on page 317. The other looks like the one beside it.
So it is a Field Brundage, right?

Thanks
Roger

CatoeFarms

Registered

I have some old wards catalogs,1906.1916,1926 etc. I have a 1 1/2 hp and a 3hp. Both were originally dark green and with a different decal than the ones I have seen. One has the date casted on the hopper June and a #.

BobRR

Registered

They do look nice black. The one my friend has also has what appears to be a date cast in the hopper of 4 26? It is black also.(restored to that color) It has a lower no. then mine which doesnt have any no. cast in the hopper??? Rumor is that they made replacement cylinders-hoppers that had a date cast in it????? Mine is red for sure.???? If it was repainted it was about 80yrs. ago.;) Back to does anyone know when Brundage went out of bussiness?? The casting no. on both these engines start with AA. So Im assuming(I know this could be problem;) ) that they are the 1st series or models?? Roger you have brundage engines!BobRR

BobRR

Registered

Catoe. How do your engines date compared to whats in the catalogs? Are your green engines Brundage or nelson brothers? BobRR

Carl McGhee

Registered

My 7 HP Field Brundage Type W has remnants of dark green and July 19 raised letter in side of hopper. This is one of my favorite engines, nice slow runner. John Davidson if you want to add this to your roster the serial # is 9357.

jbo.aermotor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Bob,
I have a 11/2 Feild & Brundage/ Racine sattley, It looks like it was red,speed controll on fly wheel, Ser# 36358. Has a tag on the hopper,and all you can read is the ser#. Can anyone date these engines? Ben in California

R

RustyironinMO

Hey guys I just went out and checked my 5 horse salltey and my 7 horse sattley the 5 horsa has mar 15 cast in raised letters on the hopper/block and the seven horse has july 15 18 cast into it the serial number 17xxx on the tag I bought toih engine form the second owner and he tod me that this engine was bought brand new by Clarence Brown of floernce MO it came by train on the old Rock Island and was picked up in Stover MO and hauled to florence with a team of horses and that is where it spent its life sawing cord wood in the area it was sold on Clarences estate sale in 1961 alvin nolting bought it and removed it from the trucks and it sat outside his body shop untill I bought in las summer it had sat there so long the oiler had turned a deep purple and moss had started to grow thick on the north side of the engine I bought the engine under the impression it was stuck when we picked it up with a wrecker the flywheels rolled over I had it running in about 3 hours :D