• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Feild & Brundage / Racine Sattley

Al Wait

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/21/2014
I should mention that my 8 HP t/g Saxon ( F-B )is black with green flywheels, and has a Webster L mag. It is the same as a 7 HP Wolverine, but Brackett & Shaw up-rated it. Al Wait

DippyNo12

Registered
I just picked up a 2 1/2 horse Sattley over the weekend. It looks like it was never set up for a mag, but for a battery and coil only. The ignitor bracket is broken but it certainly was not a bracket capable of holding a webster mag. It is spoked flywheel, with the oil wells on the main caps instead of grease cups, and it has the manual speed control on the end of the crank shaft. It's in rough shape but is certainly restoreable. I didn't look over it too well so I didn't notice any casting dates but there are traces of black paint kicking around. The tag gives a serial number of 10696, 2 1/2 horse at 475 rpm. Aside from the broken ignitor bracket (I think it will run as is, but it will wear a lot if I do), and some pretty worn out timing gears, and the lack of a crank guard, the engine should be pretty easy to get going. I'll take some pics a post them later on, probably next weekend as I'm headed to rough and tumble tomorrow.

- Bill Jones

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Bill, any pictures yet? I sure would like to see some.
With the serial number 10696 this one would be a "Racine Sattley", NOT a Field-Brundage.
Denis Rouleau

I just picked up a 2 1/2 horse Sattley over the weekend. It looks like it was never set up for a mag, but for a battery and coil only. The ignitor bracket is broken but it certainly was not a bracket capable of holding a webster mag. It is spoked flywheel, with the oil wells on the main caps instead of grease cups, and it has the manual speed control on the end of the crank shaft. It's in rough shape but is certainly restorable. The tag gives a serial number of 10696, 2 1/2 horse at 475 rpm. Aside from the broken ignitor bracket (I think it will run as is, but it will wear a lot if I do), and some pretty worn out timing gears, and the lack of a crank guard, the engine should be pretty easy to get going.
- Bill Jones

Last edited:

David Babcock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
They were made at the old field brundage factory yet but montgomery wards was now owner of the company. Db.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
They were made at the old Field Brundage factory yet but Montgomery Wards was now owner of the company. Db.
This is exactly correct! Field-Brundage made engines from about 1905 until sometimes in 1916. Then Montgomery Ward bought the factory, change the name sign in front of the building, made "Racine Sattley" name tags and stuck them to every engines from then on.

In conclusion, the name "Field-Brundage" was never used again on anything after 1916.

Denis Rouleau

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
So, is my 1916 Racine Sattley the same as a 1915 Field & Brundage?
Lou
There is only one way to tell if a late Field-Brundage is identical to an early Racine Sattley and that would be to find one of each of the same horsepower and compare the casting numbers.

Since I don't have one of each I can't be 100% that they are identical but they very well could be.

If someone with a late Field-Brundage can write down the casting for their engine and sent it to me, I will make the same request to someone else with an early Racine Sattley and compare the results. Then we would know for sure.

Denis Rouleau

Lou Quirch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03-09-2020
Re: Field & Brundage / Racine Sattley

Denis,
I don't know if you have it. My engine is at Florida Flywheelers and I will not see it until the 20th.
I'll get the serial # and contact you. I will also look for a casting date.
Mine is a 5hp hit and miss with the three speed cone and what I think is original paint.
Did the Field engines have the same governor with the cone?
Lou

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Don't forget to take pictures, lots of pictures including a close up pic of the name tag.
Denis Rouleau

Denis,
I don't know if you have it. My engine is at Florida Flywheelers and I will not see it until the 20th.
I'll get the serial # and contact you. I will also look for a casting date.
Mine is a 5hp hit and miss with the three speed cone and what I think is original paint.
Did the Field engines have the same governor with the cone?
Lou

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
There is only one way to tell if a late Field-Brundage is identical to an early Racine Sattley and that would be to find one of each of the same horsepower and compare the casting numbers.
Denis Rouleau
Here is a start to a Field-Brundage/Sattley page with an engine and some of its casting numbers:
http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/Field Brundage/page202.html

This one is a 5hp Sattley kerosene engine. Some parts on the 5hp gasoline engine may be different.

Anyone else have something to contribute along these lines?
Thanks!
Denis Rouleau

Lou Quirch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03-09-2020

Dennis here is the serial #for my 5hp Racine Sattley 30880.
Mine has the hub for the speed control.
I didn't have a camera. The tag said Racine Sattley. 425RPM

KenDawson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2020
Dennis, has anyone sent you in pixs or information on 12
hp hit and miss Racine sattley. I am presently ( 25 years worth) working to restore a 15 hp that I think they later rerated to a 12 hp. All the parts on mine start with the EE designation the parts I am copying from the 12 have EE designation but a vast majority the ff designation with the parts I was needing being the same for both. Bore for both engines is 7 inch ,flywheels 39 1/2 diameter the 12 having a bolt in the hub, the 15 is solid key tightens the flywheel on crank. I bought the engine as a wood splitter 30 years ago govenor side flywheel was missing and crank was bent but all other parts ( head,carb,detent catch with roller,timing gear,rocker arm, ignitor,and clutch pulley) were there. Had the crankshaft repaired and am having the flywheel cast made patterns and got castings for detent, govenor weight, and webster trip (EE 50) am going to try to barrow splash shield for copy. Just wondering if there are more of these engines or do I need to see a shrink. Did this same thing on a 12 hp economy starting with just a base, flywheels crank, caps, rod and piston just because I had the underslung cart.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Denis, has anyone sent you in pics or information on 12 hp hit and miss Racine Sattley.
So far I do not have a 15hp in the registry. I have only one 12hp in the registry which seems to be the newer model with hardly any lip around the water hopper opening.

Earlier engines were called "Racine Sattley" and had a square opening with a high lip on the water hopper.

Do you have a tag on the engine and/or a serial number for it?
Denis Rouleau

KenDawson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2020
No numbers on the 15 hp end of crankshaft sat in the dirt to long couldn't find numbers anywhere else I will look on the 12 next time I go up to dalton, I know there's no tag but sn may be on crank if so will send with pix.Ken

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Hi Dennis. A friend has a 7 HP Racine Sattely. Tag reads:
The Racine Sattely
Montgomery Ward
NY, Chicago, Kansas, Kansas City,
Fort Worth, Portland
HP-7 No 2160 7 (space intentional between last numbers)
Speed 375.

it has a 2 speed governor adjuster on the mag side crankshaft. Lint filled wells to lube crank mains. Engine is black on red factory horse drawn drop frame. This unit came out of a saw mill in Hopatcong, NJ. The wooden saw frame has been long gone, but the tree is still with the cart. Ignition is by Webster tripolar mag. Currant owner is 2nd owner. Although not mounted in pix, the owner has the cast iron crank guard. He took it off so i could take pictures.

I cannot send Pix, but if you PM or EMail me your snail mail address, i will be glad to mail them to you.

Any ideas on value? Age? Unit looks like one in a 1916 M-W ad. Engine has a weld repair on the head and has about 85% original paint. Engine runs good. Cart has been repainted, but seems to be in good shape.

Anybody looking for a great engine? :)