• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

FI Briggs with NO Spark

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
My Grandson & I are restoring an FI Briggs. We have disassembled and cleaned all of the parts, Lightly honed the Cyl. & installed new Rings, Lapped the Valves. Got it all reassembled & now we don't have any SPARK. The Piston was stuck (still had the hone marks in the Cyl.) so we couldn't turn the engine over before we tore it down. When we Reassembled it, one of the Magnets in the Magneto was catching on on the upper Lamentations of the Magneto. Using DYKEM (lay out bluing) to find the spots where it was rubbing, we have used a Dremel tool and a File & removed enough of that lamentation so we are now able to rotate the Flywheel 360* but we still don't have any SPARK! My question is, Is there a Solid State Ignition system that we can install in the original Magneto area that will give us spark? We would like to keep the "ORIGINAL" look of the FI.

We have replaced the Condenser, Checked to make sure the Points are making contact as they should, Disconnected the KILL wire & checked the coil wiring & Everything checks as it should. I have never ran into this situation with the Lamentations interference before so, I am stumped for the first time in my 91 years of working on engines. Would a Solid State Ignition System give us SPARK?

Last edited:

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Short answer is probably not. There is a "point eliminator" that you can use that is basically a small universal solid state ignition device. I keep a couple on hand and they work very well but in your case if you have a new condenser, clean points and are sure the kill switch is not grounded then the coil secondary is probably open. I would check with an ohm meter. Measure from the spark output to ground. Without looking I don't remember the spec, but I'm thinking around 3-4000 ohms sounds right. Not uncommon for these coils to fail. Good news is they were used in most F's and all L's so they can be found easily. I may have one left. I would have to look.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Turbo, The "KILL" switch is unhooked. I have continuity from the wire that goes to the points to ground. I don't remember about the high tension wire.I can check on the High tension wire. Tell me more about the Point Eliminator. How it is installed?? Does it not use the points?

batrider

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
If the coil secondary is open then the points eliminator won't help anything. Measure with an Ohmmeter (cheap digital multimeter is fine) between the spark plug wire and the engine case (ground). Should get a reading in K (thousands of) Ohms - not infinite resistance.

Last edited:

G.M.Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/05/8018
Yep, ohm out that coil! You should have somewhere around 2200 ohms on the secondary side, that is measuring between the spark plugs and wire and the coil ground. If not, that NOVO better have a lot of magic with it!

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
I received the NOVA 11 yesterday, will report back with results. Yes, I will check the Coil. Thanks everyone for the reply's.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Yep, ohm out that coil! You should have somewhere around 2200 ohms on the secondary side, that is measuring between the spark plugs and wire and the coil ground. If not, that NOVO better have a lot of magic with it!
G.M. Johnson, I think my Magneto Coil is Open. I don't get any reading from the Spark plug connection to Ground. I have replaced the plug wire so I have continuity through that wire but open through the coil. Are the Coil and Lamentations replaceable?

Last edited:

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
G.M. Johnson, I think my Magneto Coil is Open. I don't get any reading from the Spark plug connection to Ground. I have replaced the plug wire so I have continuity through that wire but open through the coil. Are the Coil and Lamentations replaceable?
Turbo, Do you have the Magneto & back plate for and FI Briggs? It is the same Magneto that was used from the late 40's to thru the 1950's. 17 different Models of Briggs Engines. F through W, (type F Magneto.)

Last edited:

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I will look tomorrow. The coil is held onto the back plate with 4 screws.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
I will look tomorrow. The coil is held onto the back plate with 4 screws.
Yes it has 4 Screws holding it on to the backing plate, on 2 --- 1/4" Dowel Pins. I use it on the backing plate if you have it. Thank's,

batrider

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
You could get it rewound by old croak. $125 and your old coil. I rewound my own Model A coil by hand but it's a whole lot of work (10,000 turns of hair thin wire) so well worth his price.

G.M.Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/05/8018
There are a few models that use that type of coil but the most popular one is the model Y, and a lot of people including myself have used the coil out of the model y being that they are pretty cheap to pick up. Or as Dale said, you can get a rewound one for $125.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
According to Info I found on the net, there were 17 different model's of Briggs that used that Mag. Info from "The Briggs Magneto Page", The following Briggs Model's were equipped with the "Type F" Magneto which are the following, F, FB, FC, FE, FG, FH, FI, FJ, L, M, P, PB, Q, R, S, T, & W, so If you have one of these model's, it is the Mag I need.

I thought the "Y" uses a smaller Diameter Flywheel set up on the Mag.

Does anyone have "OLD CROAK's" contact info? If I don't find one, that is always a possibility. Any other Ideas out there?

Last edited: