• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Field-Brundage, Racine Sattley and Sattley Engine Registry

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I recently found and acquired 2 Field-Brundage engines and I've been reading about Field-Brundage on the internet to see what I could learn. This exercise left me with more questions than answers.

As a result, I decided to start yet another engine registry, this time for the Field-Brundage engines of Jackson Michigan. In this registry I want to include the "Racine Sattley" engines and the "Sattley" engines. I might also consider the Sattley engines built by Nelson Bros., often called the "New Sattley".

I already know of the existence of Field-Brundage engines from serial number 519 to serial number 9949 as per this chart I made here:

http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/Field Brundage/page101.html

The last Field-Brundage engine was built in 1916 but I do not know yet what its serial number is.

When Montgomery Ward started making engines at the former Field-Brundage factory in Jackson Michigan, Montgomery Ward called their engines the "Racine Sattley".

The first "Racine Sattley" was built towards the end of 1916 and here is this other chart I made showing Racine engines with serial number 10696 to serial number 23051:

http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/Field Brundage/page104.html

At this time, I'm requesting your help to send me information about your Field-Bundage/Racine Sattley/Sattley/New Sattley engines to build onto what I already have in the registry.

Thanks for your help with this project.
Denis Rouleau

Last edited:

Bob Brown

Registered
I have a Racine Sattley. 2.5 H.P. No 23695. The tag also has New York, Chicago, Kansas city, Fort Worth, Portland. I have two new Sattley engines and another identical engine taged McLeod from Canada. I assume they are Nelson Brothers engines

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have a Racine Sattley. 2.5 H.P. No 23695. The tag also has New York, Chicago, Kansas city, Fort Worth, Portland. I have two new Sattley engines and another identical engine taged McLeod from Canada. I assume they are Nelson Brothers engines
Thanks Bob. You are the first one showing interest in providing information about these fine engines. It would be great if you can send me pictures of your engines, particularly pictures of the name tags for the registry.

My email address is:
buzzcoil2@videotron.ca

Again, thank you very much.
Denis Rouleau

rafekc

Registered
Denis,

I emailed you pictures of my 5 & 7 hp Racine Sattley engines.

I do need a speed change handle if anyone has an extra, or a recast one even.

Thanks,
Rafe

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks to some members here I was able to add a few more engines to the registry:
This week I added:
Field-Brundage: 1
Racine Sattley: 2
Sattley: 1
Nelson/Montgomery: 1

If you have one of these engines, please contact me and I will gladly add it to the registry. For your engine to qualify for the registry, I need a readable picture of the name plate to avoid any/all doubts about what you have.

Thanks everyone!
Denis Rouleau

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
There were close to 80,000 Field-Brundage/Racine Sattley/Sattley/New Sattley engines built. Unfortunately I was not sent any info on these engines this week for the registry:

This week I added:
Field-Brundage: 0
Racine Sattley: 0
Sattley: 0
Nelson/Montgomery: 0

If you have one of these engines, please contact me and I will gladly add it to the registry. For your engine to qualify for the registry, I need a readable picture of the name plate to avoid any/all doubts about what you have.

Thanks everyone!
Denis Rouleau

BakerCollector

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
This saw rig is a 7HP Sattley and I was told it's factory. The only thing "wrong" is that the previous owner spun around the engine on the cart, reconfigured the saw part, and added an idler arm and pulley because he "didn't like the belt twisted". There is another guard for the blade but it does not work in this configuration. We also have the hand crank for the engine. Serial 3814. 7 HP.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The progress is slow but I was able to add a few more.

This week I added:
Field-Brundage: 2
Racine Sattley: 0
Sattley: 1
Nelson/Montgomery: 1

Thanks everyone!
Denis Rouleau

Bud Tierney

Registered
This's not an entry; more a curiosity:
Per Std catalog US Cars a Racine-Sattley carrage building company built a Racine-Sattley car in 1910-11...
Motors (4 cyl, but doesn't state whether vertical or opposed) were built by the Holbrook-Armstrong Iron Co, "across the street"..
Holbrook-Armstrong is listed as a gasoline auto engine m'f'r iin 1910-12 or so in the Automobile Trade Directory; several ads appear in that journal in which Holbrook states "our design or yours' (they also advertise foundry and castings work)...I didn't find any desc of the car engine, but I did not do a serious search...
Is this the same Racine-Sattley?? If so. did they design the 4 cyl car engine??

Mike Linder

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Are the serial numbers stamped anywhere else on the engine other than the tag?
I have a 12 hp Field-Brundage engine that doesn't have a tag and was wondering if it was anywhere else on the engine?

John Hamilton

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/25/2019
Here is my 2hp New Sattley (Nelson Bros.) and the ad from the 1927 Montgomery Ward catalog showing it.

S/N on the off-side flywheel rim is U4257

This engine was originally used to pump water from the Huzzah River to a farm near Viburnum, Missouri. They used a Weber Bulldozer pump.IMG_7963.jpg

01 09 090004.jpg

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Are the serial numbers stamped anywhere else on the engine other than the tag?
On my Field-Brundage engines the serial number is also stamped on the end of the crankshaft.

Mike, is your Field-Brundage a side shaft or a pushrod engine? Any pictures?

Denis Rouleau

Last edited:

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here is a picture of it Denis. The tag does have Montgomery Ward written on it!
Even with a Sattley tag on your engine it can (and I thing it is) be a Nelson Bros. If you check the serial number stamped on the face of the pulley side flywheel it will also indicate the model's "letter" like T or TA.

Denis Rouleau

CODY K

Registered
Denis the flywheel reads TA16444, it looks like it may have been originally a light or medium gray color, i see gray paint remnants here and there on it!