• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Field-Brundage, Racine Sattley and Sattley Engine Registry

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
There is something fishy about this ad. It is obviously a "WICO" ad from after 1923. The Field-Brundage Co. no longer existed after 1916.

In this WICO ad they say that the "Field-Brundage Engine Works" were using WICO magnetos on their engines. To me "Field-Brundage Engine Works" did not build engines and it probably never even existed. I think WICO made up that whole story.

I still think that no Nelson Bros. were ever made at the Jackson factory.

Included if another WICO ad from that era.
Denis Rouleau

Attachments

David Babcock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
The fine print does say : Manufacturers for montgomery ward. Even tho montgomery ward owned the plant at that time, maybe they didnt want the world to know that the old field brundage plant got bought out?? To me the new sattley looks more like a field engine than a nelson bros. Just my feelings. Maybe we will never know. Db.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
To me the New Sattley looks more like a field engine than a nelson bros. Just my feelings. Maybe we will never know. Db.
To me there are Field-Brangage engines, Racine Sattley engines, Sattley engines, then Nelson Bros. engines.

To me there is no such thing as a "New Sattley" engine.

Denis Rouleau

KenDawson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2020
Dennis, sent you pictures of a 10 hp page Canadian sold field brundage serial number 3407 on the tag also the same on crankshaft on magneto side.Engine has a 6 1/2 inch bore 43 inch diameter flywheels the engine is identical to the 12 hp field brundage hit and miss flywheels have an ee 39 part number the 15 hp that I am trying to restore has a 7 inch bore and 39 inch diameter flywheels with part number EE 39. Using the detent off of the 10 to copy for the 15 as all part numbers are identical just different bores.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Denis, sent you pictures of a 10 hp page Canadian sold field brundage serial number 3407 on the tag also the same on crankshaft on magneto side.
Ken, can you double check the serial number in case it is 8407 instead of 3407. Both numbers would make sense but there would be several years between the two engines.

In the meantime, your engine's pictures can be seen here by anyone interested:

http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/Field Brundage/page110.html

Denis Rouleau

Doug Hanneman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2012
Hi Dennis,

I am sending some photos and information on my 1 1/2 HP Racine Sattley SN 18546 for your registry. I bought this engine in 1999 at the LeSueur swap and restored it in 2003. I was told it was made in 1917 but have no source. Also I started a thread on the Stak in February 2002 to determine the color and it was a long discussion and thought that it could be red or black but some folks that had several Racine Sattleys stated their earlier SN models with original paint were red so I painted mine red. It has always been a nice slow runner at shows and usually problem free.

Regards,
Doug

Attachments

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I started a thread on the Stak in February 2002 to determine the color and it was a long discussion and thought that it could be red or black but some folks that had several Racine Sattleys stated their earlier SN models with original paint were red so I painted mine red.
Doug
Doug, I find your Racine Sattley looking good, even in red!
Here is a color photo from the Montgomery Ward 1916 Fall catalog. At $28.00 I'm thinking of ordering one or two!

Attachments

KenDawson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2020
Dennis, looked at the page engine again it is 3407 on both ends of the crankshaft and on the tag.Years ago I think a lot of companies shipped parts to Canada as implement parts then they were assembled to skirt duties. Once went with a friend to Canada to pick up a 5 hp stickney engine the plate on the govenor cover read Ontario wind generator and pump co. Worried about bringing it back across the border problem solved when we took the plate of on the back side was the stickney plate duties solved. The page engine is the one Mike Linder asked about part numbers are all the same as field brundage engines.

Kvt

Registered
I just purchased a Sattley, SN 58934, 1 1/2 HP,
Just got started on these engines
Have not even got it off the trailer yet when I noticed that someone had removed the mixer/carb and replaced it with a piece of copper pipe. So looking for 1. Pics of what is supposed to be there, and leads on where to find one.
KVT

Mike Linder

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Denis, I dont have a lot of info on the engine the tag is missing and there is no serial number stamped on the end of the crank. It has "12" part numbers on the main bearings and other parts and the guy we bought it from a few years ago claimed it to be a 12 hp engine. Your more then welcome to add it to your registry!

I see you have our 12 hp Sattley on there with pictures from the you tube video, I will send you a few better pictures of it.

McRoth

Registered
Here's some picture of my new to me Sattley! I bought it at an auction in PA over the weekend. I can't make out much from the tag though. I'll look on the crank for a serial number tonight.
From what I understand it is a kerosene engine. It seems to be complete. I'm planning on restoring it.
Denis, I sent you these pics earlier today for your registry.

Thanks!

Attachments

McRoth

Registered
I looked on the crank shaft ends and didn't see anything stamped there. Is there any place else the serial number could be?

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Some Sattley engines have cheap white metal name tags which often detoriate to the point that you can not read them. The tag on your engine appears to be a brass tag and it should clean up nice, revealing the serial number which should be a 5 digit number.

Denis Rouleau