• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Finally... I'm an OAF! FM118 in the truck!

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
So after years of having some sick molecule of interest stuck in my occipital lobe, I finally have an Oilfield Engine.

It's a Fairbanks-Morse 118. It set down in the back of my truck at 8pm this evening, have not had a chance to look for any serial numbers, but it turns, save for a very stuck exhaust valve. Appears to be wonderfully complete, including starting crank... oil and coolant levels are perfect, and the mag clacks out a nice hot spark... so as soon as that valve is unstuck, I should be makin' smoke.

Of course, I have an envious friend that would LOVE to have the 118's big, big brother (700-something cubic inches), and frankly, i wouldn't turn down an opportunity there, but it's gonna take a trailer.

I've downloaded the Arrow parts/operation manual, but one thing I'd really like to know, is when the manufacture for these OFE engine series occured, and what (if any) changes were made along the period of production...

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
Re: Finally... I'm an Oaf! FM118 in the truck!

look right under the mag the serial should be stamped there.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

The serial number is located on the top of the cylinder block on a shelf directly above the governor cover plate.

And..... Welcome to the club.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Photos!

Here's a pic of it in the truck... There's an ID plate on one side, it's pretty corroded, light isn't good enough to make out, but I'll get a better look at it when we unload her.

Popped the cylinder head off, the exhaust valve is soaking in penetrant now. I gave it a few light taps with a hammer to 'feel it out', and it's in there tight... it had that "I'm now a permanent part of the cylinder head, thank you" feel to it.

But I'm a patient guy. It'll come free.

Oh... guess I can't post photos 'till I post 'em somewhere else. Crap. That'll hafta wait.

S

speleausmining

Re: Photos!

You can post pictures without them being elsewhere on the site. When you go to post click the "Go Advanced" button then in the top row in the grey area above the text area theres a button for attaching a pic. That button is right next to the white smiley face and looks like a paperclip. Hope this helps.

Big Country

Registered

Will you be taking it to any of the local shows? Anxious to see pictures of it!

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Okay...

Think I got it now.

So, it turns, and about the only critical point preventing it from being an immediate runner, is a stuck exhaust valve.

Tried just squirting it with penetrant and tapping on it with a hammer, and no avail... so I pulled the head off (wow, that was easy), and took the keeper and spring off, gave it a scrubbin' with wire brush and some emery cloth, then hosed it down with more penetrant... and a few more taps with the hammer, and it says "Absolutely not, and I don't know why you're even THINKING of it, because I'm a permanent part of the cylinder head casting, dummy!"

Can't think of any exhaust valve I've ever found that was quite this satisfied of it's position... so I'll start the heating-cooling-oil-tapping routine and see if I can somehow change it's mind.

Attachments

dkamp

eMail NOT Working

Big- Dunno what I'll do with it yet, but eventually I'll probably have it on a lineshaft or generator in my shop. In any event, you're close enough so that when I fire it up, you'll probably HEAR it, so any day you want to SEE it, is a good day for a visit!

NICE!!!

And of course Dave was kind enough to gloat about the little fella before he even got home.
Yes I am envious.:p

But like Dave I am very patient, I will be an official OAF someday. My wife thinks I am one already.:crazy:

Marshall

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I picked up one of these engines a few months ago from the scrap yard, someone had chopped the radiator off already. It turns over freely, at least through 180 degrees rotation, can not go any further because the big lever for the clutch is frozen and hits the ground. Mine has the glass sight too. Its a back burner project for now:(

Gary Reif

Registered
Re: Okay...

dkamp, congrats on the new toy. I worked in a machine shop and sleeved many of these 118's back in the 80's and 90's. At that time they were a popular engine in the local oilfields. Also sleeved a lot of 208's, 346's and 503,s. At that time they were still called Fairbanks Morse engines and still used forged steel crankshafts which we also rebuilt by the 100's in the 25 years I worked there. At the time I left that shop in 98 I was seeing the Arrow engines and cranks were cast iron. Continental Engines were very popular also we rebuilt lots of C46, C66, and C96 cranks to.
Gary

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Yep, still stuck

Marshall- you might get a chance to see it on Tuesday...

Dalmation... free that lever and roll it full circle every so often, so it'll be an easier fix.

Big Country- Not sure it'll work out the seize in the valve guide, but that sounds like a good idea to try... I haven't reassembled my tank since we moved. It's still stuck really tight... If I can't 'tink' it free by the time I get home, I'll hop across the river and drop by with it still in the truck...

Gary- Cool info, thanks! Marshall wants one of the really big boys... if you come across most of one, let him know... his blood is chronically in need of iron supplements.

:crazy:

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
Re: Yep, still stuck

I also have a 118 with the glass sight gauge like this and the oil dipstick.

heres a video of mine. i have it slowed down pretty good in the video. the heads are nice on these engines because everythings replaceable. the valve guides and seats that is.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have at least two out back that are true dip stick engines, no sight glass. I need to fix one of those huh?

Also have at least one of every other size including a 739. :O

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Hmmm...

Ray... why don't I see a link to a video?

Reed, I wanna stand beside that 700ci monster when it's thumpin'... or should I say... KaWhomp'in?
:shrug:

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I'm still tappin' on it and hitting it with penetrant, and it still laughs. (sigh). Persistence, or a visit to Big Country's electron-bath. I see in the parts book that valve guides are replaceable, but this guide tower looks like it's cast-in... is it just an illusion, or did they bore the old ones out and machine it for the replacements?