• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Finding a Koala carb - realistic or not

joder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I'm working on a later New Way over here in the States and another collector I've been conversing with found that the brass Koala carb (used on early Whippits) is being used by car collectors to replace the crappy Tillotson carbs of the era. Are these Koala carbs still findable or have they all been snatched-up and cost their weight in gold?

Famous Fitter

Registered
HI Joder,

The Koala Carbs were used on model 96 and maybe 98A Whippets over here as well as some other applications

They turn up from time to time, i may have one in my spares ? and i know there is one in a junk shop in a town near by- I will be over that way week after next and i can have a look for you if you like.

I have a few early Vertical new ways too

Cheers Justin

joder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Much appreciated - I'd like to know what they're going for in usable condition because a fix-r-upper would then put me right back into the "unobtanium" realm for parts over here, again, just like the cheap Tillotsons I'm trying to replace.

Jeff

HI Joder,

The Koala Carbs were used on model 96 and maybe 98A Whippets over here as well as some other applicatins

They turn up from time to time, i may have one in my spares ? and i know there is one in a junk shop in a town near by- I will be over that way week after next and i can have a look for you if you like.

I have a few early Vertical new ways too

Cheers Justin

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi Joder,

Chase up the leads above and see how you go - I'm willing to look further if you don't have any luck - Just send me a PM.

I will still have a look at the junk shop to see if the carb is any good just for interest sake. they were sold under a few names think i've seen them with ATOM on them and unbranded too in brass. Our whippet has one on it and has an adjustable main jet. i sold a rough one a while back and it went onto a bristol crawler i think.

Cheers and good luck Justin

joder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Thanks for the replies. My whole thing is to try to find a working one for $150 USD or less if that isn't too insulting of a price. If thats not doable, I understand and I'll keep looking for a Tillotson over here.

Last edited:

joder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
...Our whippet has one on it and has an adjustable main jet.
Could you expand on this a little. Is it as simple as an adjustable orifice and/or a needle valve assembly or some other such arrangement to make an adjustable main jet?

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi Joder,

Its just an adjustable needle in a jet in the bottom. its been a very long time since i had it apart.

in the cooler months i turn it out a little ritcher and lean it off in summer.

With the exchange rate you should be able to get a good one for your budget ? our dollar is cheap to you!!!!

Cheers Justin

Last edited:

cobbadog

Registered
Yes an adjustable main jet is exactly that, it has a needle that sticks out from the carby that you can adjust. Some of the old Grey Fergy tractors with the Zenith carby also had this ability, an adjust main jet as well as the standard sir mixture jet.
I even have an adjustable main jet for an early Grey Holden motor with the Stromberg carby sitting in the chest of bits n pieces.

Famous Fitter

Registered
Jarrod ,

the pot metal would warp and crack not long after the car was sold - bit like m type fuel needle knobs . The brass copies were a successful replacement and work well. I checked the unrestored whippet in the shed and it looks like it may be still a pot metal carb - straight to the pool room if it is !!!

asw20

Registered
I feel your pain there. I am keeping an eye out for any random updraught carbs for two straight 8 Studebakers. They had a Stromberg UX (I think) which suffer the same problem. A tractor carb will do me.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

Registered
Grey Fergy has both Zenith and Solex updrafts as does the David Brown 25 and 30C which is a FV-30 Solex. These should be easy to get.