• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

First Engine for 2019

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/09/2020
Hi,

I always wanted one of these engines, thanks to some great friends, I am lucky enough to have one. I love the really unusual look of the engine.

The engine is a french Lunant, it will take a little time to get it back together, but I am looking forward to the work and seeing it run.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/09/2020
A little bit of an update on the Lunant.

I made a new gudgeon pin using a grade 8 bolt. Got it right the first time so didn't need the spare. The big end studs were a little stretched so have replaced them with high tensile bolts. The originals were 10 mm so I brought some 12mm, machined them and cut the new threads, made new nuts as well as they weren't original.

The main bearing on the flywheel side was past its use by date so made a new one. A few other small jobs on it.

Currently working on building a new hot tube chimney in the 'french style' as I don't know what the original should look like. Still need to sort out the exhaust and the air intake pipe.

The little ball and pipe needs to be on it to run it at the moment, but its not original. The electric motor in the photo was used to start the engine the first few times until I put one of Wayne Grenning's gas bags on it, which sorted out the issues.

Put the tacho on it today and its running a treat at around 100 rpm. I'll post a video of it running when it is complete.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

RustyNumbat

Registered
Take a decent video and put it on youtube, the only ones I could find are really low quality from a decade ago. (What is it with interesting and uncommon machines, it ALWAYS seems to be just a single ancient and terrible quality video online?)

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/09/2020
I have virtually completed all the work on the engine. It has a new hottube chimney, I redesigned the air intake tube.

I designed a new muffler/exhaust box in a style in keeping with the engine.

The door on the base had been damaged and I had been debating leaving it but decided to repair it. I had a casting made of the lug and then fusion welded it back onto the door. I am pretty happy with the way-out turned out, unfortunately the paint was burnt off in the process, but I have been able to match it quite well.

When I get a chance I will get it running and my son will video the engine and load it onto youtube.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/09/2020
Hi jayvee,
Thanks for the heads up - no idea how to fix it.
Maybe if you copy and paste it will work for you?
Sorry, Wayne

Paul Richardson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Link working fine here Wayne,subject and vid both operating well.
Only opening the vid on an old iPhone,will try pc later.

Mick

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Works for me, fantastic engine, runs sweetly and first class resto as always wayne!

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020
Very nice job and sweet running too!
Explorer wont open the movie, but google would for me.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Very very cool engine.
Thank you for the clip!
Mozilla/Pale Moon did it for me no prob.
Too much to add about the gas governor. :)