• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Flat belt lineshaft shifter - wanting to build one

Jebaroni

Registered
I have a post drill with fixed/loose pulleys. I thought it would be a fun little project to rig up a short lineshaft and electric motor to power it when using small diameter, high speed bits (and I can still hand crank it for larger holes requiring slow speeds). The issue surrounds the belt shifting mechanism. Finding a purpose-built shifter (like a "Sim-Pull") is not likely, so something more akin to a foot pedal or long handled wooden lever is more practical.

I know that Joel Sanderson's blacksmith shop is filed with long, wooden handles for this purpose. I myself ran a water-powered gristmill with a long handled shifter, but we relied on a cable & hook to hold the shifter once it was in the "engaged" position. Most others don't seem to use this. Can anyone share some examples of home-built shifter mechanisms for their lineshafts?

Thanks!

Jebaroni

Registered
Tarrantb...I was JUST sketching up an idea nearly identical to this, except the lever was one of two pivoting arms moving as a parallelogram with the shifting forks between them. Where did your forks come from? That setup looks PERFECT...thanks for sharing!

tarrantb

Registered
Tarrantb...I was JUST sketching up an idea nearly identical to this, except the lever was one of two pivoting arms moving as a parallelogram with the shifting forks between them. Where did your forks come from? That setup looks PERFECT...thanks for sharing!
Got lucky and Found them at a locale antique dealer , before I found them I was thinking angle iron with a bushing thru both fingers, then set screw to attach to shaft.

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Bill.. nice drive line setup you have there. Well used too based on polished face's of pulley's.

Jebaroni

Registered
Another question: Pretty much all of the lineshaft bearing hangers that I've seen with shifter arms used a round bar for the shifter, as in Bill's setup. I purchased two hangers about 14 years ago that had rectangular holes in the shifter arms. Just wondering how common or unusual those might be.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Jeb, I have hangers that came with the original shifting rod. It’s just a wooden rod in the square or rectangular slots.
The original “shifters” are hard to find for the mainshafts. It took me two years to find one locally.
I’m watching this thread very closely to see what you guys are doing. Thanks!

Jebaroni

Registered
Do you mean a "round wooden rod in a square/rectangular hole"? Just checking. I'll get pictures of mine.