• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Flat belt repair

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
That appears to be a newer belt. How wide was it? What type of repair was used after it failed?
No Idea. . .

Beth would have to answer that if she sees it posted in this forum.

If I remember right, they broke THREE of Them That Day, and I believe they were All Older Ones, but thought to have been in good shape as they had been using them all along up till when they broke.

Don't know if Any of them were repaired, though I would hope at the very least they would have been spliced together for re-use with lighter loads.

:salute:

LundMachineWorks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2018
Hi Harvey,

Wow! I knew we had over loaded the belt a time or two. The 31.5Hp rating surprises me. Notice that I did NOT say it is wrong, I had no idea the rating would be that low.

I wonder how many times we have abused the belt in the 60Hp - 80Hp range. I said we have been up to the 140Hp range with the Blue Brake. Now I am wondering if we borrowed a bigger belt for that run. Perhaps in the future when someone askes us what it would take to get us to bring the Brake to their event, we will require them to provide a drive belt for the big dogs.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen
As long as it doesn't go home with you.

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019
As long as it doesn't go home with you.
You folks are having too much fun with all that horsepower. Maybe you should all buy some new, stronger belts, but keep the old ones for action!

Back to the subject of repairing belts...I should mention that Mulhern presents (or used to present) a training course in belting splicing, for those of you who might be interested in doing your own lap splicing of multi-ply rubber/canvas belts. They should also be able to supply materials and tools for the job. This might need to be scheduled thru one of their distributors. I don’t know how much it costs these days. This is probably on their website.

For many years I thought about building a mobile belting fab/repair shop to drive to the shows, basically set up in a 1 ton van. Here in the northeast there wasn’t much of a demand for serious power transmission belting. Most of the displays at the local engine shows only used low or fractional horsepower and many of the the exhibitors were not interested in performance belts. While the idea turned out to be a flop here in the northeast, I have a feeling that it might work for your gatherings.
Just my .02 and that’s about all it’s worth....
Harvey

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
You folks are having too much fun with all that horsepower. Maybe you should all buy some new, stronger belts, but keep the old ones for action!

Back to the subject of repairing belts...I should mention that Mulhern presents (or used to present) a training course in belting splicing, for those of you who might be interested in doing your own lap splicing of multi-ply rubber/canvas belts. They should also be able to supply materials and tools for the job. This might need to be scheduled thru one of their distributors. I don’t know how much it costs these days. This is probably on their website.

For many years I thought about building a mobile belting fab/repair shop to drive to the shows, basically set up in a 1 ton van. Here in the northeast there wasn’t much of a demand for serious power transmission belting. Most of the displays at the local engine shows only used low or fractional horsepower and many of the the exhibitors were not interested in performance belts. While the idea turned out to be a flop here in the northeast, I have a feeling that it might work for your gatherings.
Just my .02 and that’s about all it’s worth....
Harvey
Need wouldn't be the problem, but I still don't imagine any profit potential. After accessorizing our engines, we're all to cheap to spend the money for a professional belt splice!

So how close was my technique to the Mulhern instruction?

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019
Need wouldn't be the problem, but I still don't imagine any profit potential. After accessorizing our engines, we're all to cheap to spend the money for a professional belt splice!

So how close was my technique to the Mulhern instruction?
Yes, lack of profit is definitely a deal breaker...
I always tried to avoid calling my customers cheap, but as a fellow belt user, I agree with you...I’m as cheap as they get...

Your technique is pretty much spot on. Add a thin top layer of vulcanized tubber, the waxed paper works great. Nice to have a heated vulcanizing press with controlled heating and cooling, add rubber dams to the edge of the belt while it’s in the press, to keep the raw rubber from flowing out, trim excess with a knife after curing and removing from the press. Stitching is not needed if you’ure using a press with clamps.

Only thing I would change is this: I would not ask my wife for help with this procedure. Very high probability for a misunderstanding. The belt splice might get screwed up during the fist fight.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Only thing I would change is this: I would not ask my wife for help with this procedure. Very high probability for a misunderstanding. The belt splice might get screwed up during the fist fight.
Oh, if I'd only had that advice at the time! Fortunately no fist fight, but I recall wondering a couple times how wise it was to have sharp objects in close proximity while seeing daggers in the eyes..... :uhoh:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
** By the way, my wife owning everything is not a bad thing. My key still fits in the door when I come home. There are a few things I own, such as the cap she gave me for Christmas.
I had a friend and his wife told me one time that what was hers was hers and 1/2 of everything her husband had was hers. She divorced him the following year. I think he would now tell you her saying was mostly true.......

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019
Sometimes the cost of getting rid of a hateful spouse is worse than putting up with them! But sometimes it may well be worth the cost!
Okay, I went through that twice. Pretty much cleaned me out. Left me with 25 cents and the shirt in my back. So why did I go back and do it a third time? Once a dog gets a taste of a porcupine, he’ll go back for more.....

Hi everyone,

Maybe this topic deserves a thread of its own. If so, we can do that.

After watching the video of the 110 Case breaking the belt because is backed up, we really cleared the crowd from being in line with the belt when we ran the 150 Case on the Red Brake. I linked the video of the 110 Case backing up here if you want to see it again. Video 1

Following that, another friend and I had a discussion about how much room and where do we need to have room to keep people as safe as possible around belts in the event of the belt breaking or falling off.

Some searching on You Tube resulted in the following videos.

Here are two views of the same event. The belt came off the driven pulley and wrapped around the driving pulley.
Video 2 and Video 3
That looked pretty exciting for the people on the engine. I have heard stories of other cases like this in which the canopy was damaged.

This one happened on the Red Brake at Rollag in 2012.
Video 4
The belt broke at the steam engine end and came toward the brake. It didn't have the same energy as the one that broke when the engine backed up.

In this video we can see the belt fall off the driven pulley. After the camera swings down to the steam engine we can see the belt lying where it fell.
Video 5
How far did the belt go past, or how much of the belt went past, the driving pulley? Did enough belt go past that someone could have been hit?

In this video the belt breaks at the driven pulley.
Video 6
If you can stop it around 12 seconds, you can see the belt on top of the pulley comes back to the engine and go past the pulley. The belt on the bottom pretty much just fell down.

I was told once that the belt will always come toward the steam engine (driving pulley). Video 4 shows that is not always the case.

What are your experiences?
How much space around the ends of a belt needs to be kept clear?
Is Video 4 a fluke? Does the belt head toward the driving end 99.9% of the time?

Should this be a new and separate thread?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen