• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Flexible Exhaust to NPT Adapter?

enginecrzy

Registered
Well, because of current situations, I am induced to working on one of the many projects I have started & not finished.
Its a "Briggs FH powered wooden scooter". Just a 2x4 frame with inlaid? slats, treated with boiled linseed oil & a 1" live rear axle In pillow block bearings, a band brake & large 1' dia. stamped steel pulley from an 100+ year old craftsman lathe the seller said. The rear keyed rim is for a snowblower & the front has bearings. tires are 4ply & ribbed wheelbarrow style . I don't have a welder so the front forks bottom half are going to be 2x4s & then I will make the bars & riser out of metal pluming pipe bolted to the forks via a threaded flange fixture?.... An old cast tractor seat would be choice too but it might be too awkward/ top heavy or fragile, donno. I have a flexible exhaust I want to use as the exhaust port is facing forwards. Is there an adapter possibly that directly converts to national pipe thread? the maytag ones just go to a 2 bolt flange type. I did see another flange adapter for a regular screw on muffler. I SUPPOSE I could bolt them together but it wouldn't look right & I also think it is for a smaller muffler. The flexible exhaust I have also has a right angle cast part for a Briggs wmb but the I.D. would need to be enlarged to work & a banjo bolt made out of a pipe & an end cap, I think there is a better way. any ideas???

Here are Maytag scooter plans In this Popular Mechanics magazine similar to what I am up to, its on page 271:

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...rce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=true

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/NOT MY SCOOTER, "its really cool tho"/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
maytag-custom-scooter.jpg
https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/the-mighty-maytag

Last edited:

Jeff S

Registered
Well, because of current situations, I am induced to working on one of the many projects I have started & not finished.
Its a "Briggs FH powered wooden scooter". Just a 2x4 frame with inlaid? slats, treated with boiled linseed oil & a 1" live rear axle In pillow block bearings, a band brake & large 1' dia. stamped steel pulley from an old craftsman lathe the seller said. The rear keyed rim is for a snowblower & the front has bearings. tires are 4ply & ribbed wheelbarrow style . I don't have a welder so the front forks bottom half are going to be 2x4s & then I will make the bars & riser out of metal pluming pipe bolted to the forks via a threaded flange fixture?.... An old cast tractor seat would be choice too but it might be too awkward/ top heavy or fragile, donno. I have a flexible exhaust I want to use as the exhaust port is facing forwards. Is there an adapter possibly that directly converts to national pipe thread? the maytag ones just go to a 2 bolt flange type. I did see another flange adapter for a regular screw on muffler. I SUPPOSE I could bolt them together but it wouldn't look right & I also think it is for a smaller muffler. The flexible exhaust I have also has a right angle cast part for a Briggs wmb but the I.D. would need to be enlarged to work & a banjo bolt made out of a pipe & an end cap, I think there is a better way. any ideas???

Here are Maytag scooter plans In this Popular Mechanics magazine similar to what I am up to, its on page 271:

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...rce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=trueView attachment 397117
https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/the-mighty-maytag
Your a better man than I am. Without my welder I would be lost. I'm not aware of any adapters other than the maytag you already found. I'm not saying there not out there I just haven't seen them. My son bought flexible exhaust at our local NAPA store you could check there if the parts guy isn't a kid he will probably be able to help you. Other than that do you have a friend who has a wire feed if so it would be easy to make
If you're considering buying a welder get a wire feed, and if you can afford it get one with the gas that way you can go either way. I paid several hundred dollars for my Lincoln without gas but wish I would have spent the extra money. I later picked up a cheap Craftsman with gas at an auction and lately find myself using it more. With the gas you get less splatter. My Craftsman welds up to 1/8", my Lincoln 5/16, and I have a Lincoln stick welder for anything bigger. My son bought a Lincoln with gas big enough to weld pretty much everything (smart boy)
Good luck, and your scooter is really nice. We do the best we can with what we have and it looks to me like you've gone above and beyond!!!

enginecrzy

Registered
Thank you for the kind words, I'm sorry to mislead you but I haven't yet built it. The picture shown is a build someone else did flowing the popular mechanics magazines plans & I am using as inspiration for my build. I used to have a Lincoln welder but sold
it to an old guy during a garage sale "he asked me nicely, old guy jedi mind tricks".... I do remember that it did splatter allot, I didn't have the gas setup either. I didn't use it enough to do it justice. A guy I used to work with rigged up a hand truck with batteries that he took with him wheeling to stick weld in a pinch, I wonder.....

Last edited:

Jeff S

Registered
This is a broken tie rod on the trail hard to, see by the time my son in law and I got it fixed I was to cold to care. Slipped a spark plug socket over the break then use vice grips to hold on a splint made out of a 1/2" drive ratchet a wrench and a ratchet strap. It got the fellow to where he could get it fixed. I don't know what he would have done had we not been there but we sure impressed everyone that was on the ride. 20191222_153214.jpg

enginecrzy

Registered
Wow, that's impressive,
test your wits & keep em sharp.
I've been stuck once or twice myself & things go south real quick
if you are not prepared for a breakdown in the middle of nowhere
some people are darn lucky to be alive:)

enginecrzy

Registered
wellp, here are some pictures of the contraption so far, I just finished fitting
the front bearings in the wheel bores. "the wheel hole is metric, bearings are not" -0.030
later everything's happy & I can now use the new 3/4" front axle shaft that the guys from
farmers equipment c.o. made up for me. They have phenomenal customer service.

Attachments

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
I was at a show in February and seen a Super 90 with a new engine on it.. because of demand someone is making repro engines...

enginecrzy

Registered
Yup. They pretty much use the same engine platform throughout several models
even present day engines have the d.n.a of the original design. Aftermarket Honda clones
are quite perfected & make loads more hp... What I like about the engine is that it has a
built in oil centrifuge in the clutch basket, very innovative. The cons are that the early engines
have obsolete j.i.s thread pitches, I had to re cut the threads on some of my stainless alan head screws
for the mag plate & a few other places. Also the early engines had numinous revisions to them. I obtained a nos
crankshaft but the timing gear was not included. I found a part# & ordered one but the inside dia was too large, 2nd
one fit perfect but had fewer teeth & found this out after I had it installed & had to dremel it off. Finally got it right.
Another - is the 6v system. my battery was constantly flat & had to upgrade to a modern rectifier & a sealed
jell cell from motobatt. I don't even charge it now

https://oldmotodude.blogspot.com/2019/09/honda-s90-with-piranha-motor-spotted-at.html

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GWzxcyQcYZ2SPQ8s6

Jeff S

Registered
Wonder if you could take a maytag flange thread the opposite end from where the flex screws in with a NPT tap. after you could cut the bolt holes off and grind it all pretty. If the adapter still had to big of a thread you could use a flush bushing to make smaller and still keep it short

enginecrzy

Registered
That's an Idea!!
but ya your right, it might not have enough meat on the flange end.
I was out there staring at it just now, what I MIGHT do.... is just modify
a female pipe coupler on one end to accept the flex exhaust
with a small handheld drill grinding stone & just drill & tap it for grub screws/sheet metal or jbweld.
But on top of everything being shut down in this small town, Its Sunday & "EVERYTHING Is shut down"
I'll have to let it brew till tomorrow....

Last edited:

enginecrzy

Registered
me: OLD ENGINE, I AM GOING TO RESTORE YOU & MAKE YOU INTO A MOTOSCOOT....
old engine:
No.
me: what are your demands?
old engine:
Don't bug me boy I'm sleeping.
me: There must be something???
old engine: YAWWWNNN, hmm well, EARN IT.

Jeff S

Registered
That's an Idea!!
but ya your right, it might not have enough meat on the flange end.
I was out there staring at it just now, what I MIGHT do.... is just modify
a female pipe coupler on one end to accept the flex exhaust
with a small handheld drill grinding stone & just drill & tap it for grub screws/sheet metal or jbweld.
But on top of everything being shut down in this small town,Its Sunday & "EVERYTHING Is shut down"
I'll have to let it brew till tomorrow....
I like the way you think! I used jbweld on an exhaust manifold one time and it lasted for years till the manifold rusted away from the jbweld.:salute:

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I had a super 90, I think it was also a 67. It only had about 2000 miles but was stuck from sitting when I got ii. I was about 13, my dad helped me put a new piston in it and it ran great.