• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Florida Flywheeler Fall Fuel up? - Snow Pumping Engine

TABest55

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/05/2017
We watched the Snow engine run and were amazed at how quiet it was. Is this normal or only because it wasn't pulling a load. That is one huge piece of equipment.

Harry

Administrator
Re: Florida Flywheeler Fall Fuel up?

You can see a compressed movie clip of an operating Snow engine here:
http://www.old-engine.com/image/rollag/clips/snow-clip.wmv

More photos and movie cllips here: http://www.old-engine.com/rollag.htm

Now that we have more bandwidth, when I get time :confused: I'll make a higher resolution clip.

I've decided not to get into the FF Show flap - been there and done that.

Here's a link to the early photos of the Florida Flywheelers' Snow project:

http://www.old-engine.com/fwpark.htm

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014
Snow engine

The Snow is supposed to run at 120 rpm but the Flywheelers run it at 60 rpm without any cooling water. After running 15 minutes the exhaust manifolds hardly get warm. For an engine with a 40,000 cid it uses very little gas (propane) at that speed without a load.

I would hope that some of the younger generation (myself, Jeff Smith, Ted Best, John Davis, Greg Best, Neil Butts, Lesley Ambler, Preston Wells, Tim Puvis, etc...) would start showing up and help the Florida Flywheelers grow in a direction of gas engines, steam engines (portable, stationary and traction) and early gas tractors. A lot of the old die-hard members are unable to participate and guide the club in the direction it should be moving in. The Flywheelers aquired a large 6 cylinder Atlas Imperial diesel engine last summer with open push rods and rocker arms. It just needs someone to adopt it for restoration. It only weighs 35 tons.

The Beebe's have been putting on an excellent display and I hope others will follow.

Ted, how about bringing that little prony brake of yours out in February? Give some of those tractors something to make them bark.

Dan

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

Did that 400 HP Snow engine happen to come from the Heath Compressor Station? I have a video "Heath Station - Link to the Past" that I bought about 1998 that shows the engines before they were taken out of service after 85 years of continuous operation. Some history of the manufacturer is given and footage of an engine in operation is very impressive. Don't know if the video is still currently available but if anyone is interested can advise the name and address of the distributor listed on the tape case.

Bill

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014

Bill asked

Did that 400 HP Snow engine happen to come from the Heath Compressor Station?

No,it was donated by Ed Winter of Hamburg, New York. He removed two Snow engines from a pumping station in 1975. The engine the Florida Flywheelers got had been sitting outside all that time. The other engine is set-up next to Ed's house in New York but it is not in running order.

Dan