• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Flywheelers swap or show. Any difference? (PHOTOS)

JHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2016
Went to the Flywheelers swap meet and loved it .

Got a question or two :

If i went back for the show would i see just about the same thing i did at the swap meet ?That would not be a problem because i just did make it around to take a quick look at everything at the meet.

What about Zolfo Springs ? Would i see the same things that i did at the Flywheelers ?

I had a ball looking at all the stuff and would not mind doing it again.:D

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Re: Flywheelers swap/show . Any difference ?

You pose a good question. Myself and 4 of my other engine friends attended the swap meet for about a 4 year period. We never attended the show as about one trip a year for us (a 15 hour dirve one way) was what our budget allowed. 2001 was fabulous loads of old iron and related parts to scurry through. Mags and mixers, heads, pistons, complete and parts engines. It was an iron collectors dream. As time passed, more and more vendors were there with un-related stuff, dolls, balloon supliers, Nic nac items, model toys, rock collections, jewlery, unwanted lawnmowers, etc. We didn't go back for 3 years, not wishing to waste out saved up travel money on that, and we decided to go again, last year. It had'nt changed, still tooooo much non engine stuff. The people there are great, and do a good job of putting on the show, but, in my opinion, we'll never go back as it cost us about $500.00 a piece just to go look and I can do alot with that money otherwise. Earlier, it was worth it just to see the expanse of parts for old iron that was there, but for some reason, it's turned into a flea market. I can't say anything about the show, as I've never been to it so, someone may provide insight into what's there.

oldironcollector

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/23/2016

Never been but I understand your dillema. Not to hijack the thread but the flea markets are the same way around here 99% Chinese junk, 1 % decent stuff but mostly overpriced. I think it is the way of the modern world, the vendors are trying anything and everything to make a buck, it's a whole lot easier to order a container load of chinese tools than searching and scouring the land for old stuff to bring to sell. Then you have E-bay that has opened up an outlet for anyone to sell anything online with a large group of buyers without leaving the comfort of their living room. So suddenly cleaning out the old barn could be a rather pleasent and profitable venture as opposed to the chore that it used to be.

Off the soap box now....:O

Plntdctr

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/03/2015

I just went to the Flywheelers Swap meet and because I took my wife and two friends and we rented a four passenger golf cart,it was a fun day for them. I find it is too much junky flea market for me and I will attend the Zolfo Springs meet at Pioneer Park, which is a real old engine show, with lots of great old engines and engine parts vendors. I really enjoy it and I take my bike to ride around the show, so I can cover it all. The February meet at Flywheelers no different. The only difference in the February show is it keys on garden tractors and has a horse pull going on.

MarkYoung

Registered

i attended all the shows this year at the florida flywheelers. i dont think i will be going back. it has turned into a fleamarket. it wouldnt be so bad if they would separate the fleamarket from the engines and parts. why is there never any vendors for parts. does anybody know whats wrong.

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018

I took stuff to sell this year and set up a little table with steam and gas engine items. I did not get a chance to walk around my area of the show because there were always people at my table. It was rather funny though, because I must have been one of the few people in my row with engine stuff because there were always golf carts in front of the table and folks honking and fussing about blocking the drive and the neighbors would come over to see what I had for sale because they were not selling much.

I was shocked to see so many gas engine displays at the swap meet this year, usually folks bring stuff to sell.

Jeff Smith

MarkYoung

Registered

if your going to go to a show in florida go to zofo. so much better and they have vendors. the show is also separated into sections. and they have vendors. i will be there to with my 17hp ruston hornsby side shaft engine. we will be running a 10 kw generator

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Flywheelers swap or show. Any difference?

And then there were HUNDREDS of rows of fleas!

The interesting thing about these photos is that I was IN MOTION riding on a tractor tram while snapping these off. Nicor lens Vibration Reduction really works!

Attachments

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018

The wheels leaning against the trailer in the first photo by Harry look like the ones I sold. They were sold just about the time I rolled them out. A friend up the road a few miles bought those from me, funny how I didn't know he wanted wheels and I hauled them 2-1/2 hours west of his place so he could haul them back!:D

Jeff Smith

JHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/26/2016

Thanks Harry, i got some good input from my question.

There was a lot of non engine related flea market stuff there but the Fywheelers got bills to pay just like the rest of us i guess.

There were lots of vendor spaces to be filled and most (but not all were filled ) I cannot imagine an engine vendor was turned away .

Fresh air , sunshine ( a bit cool ) lots of stuff to look at (even if some of it was not greasy ) and all for a very modest entrance price .

Hard to find fault with that.

Jhoward:cool: