• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Fm 118.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
You would be amazed at how many times this has been ask. So don’t feel bad you didn’t know.

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Wondering if there is a lever with notches on the back side of lever under the governor
If there is a lever under the governor, There should be a spring that hooks to a spot on the block with the other end of spring hook int the a notch on the that is under the governor. That spring controls the tension on the governor lever.
Charlie

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Wondering if there is a lever with notches on the back side of lever under the governor
If there is a lever under the governor, There should be a spring that hooks to a spot on the block with the other end of spring hook int the a notch on the that is under the governor. That spring controls the tension on the governor lever.
Charlie
Your Most Welcome my friend
Glad to be able to help you
I hope it helps you with the governor on a 118 Fairbanks motor - thinking that there should be a small piece on angle (like 1 inch long) with 2 holes in the bracket that is either bolted or riveted to something on the block or the base the other hole is for the spring - The spring is hooked in the hole then is turned toward the flywheels - that way the spring cant come out of the hole in the mounted bracket with the hole for the spring (I really dont remember. It has been at least 20 yrs since I have missed with a 118 or a 208 Fairbanks. I have rebuilt a 208 Fairbanks - which a 208 is just like a 118 just bigger)
If you have any questions bout the 118 - let me know so I can send you a private message with my phone number/email address
Sorry bout the miss type in my first comment

Charlie

Last edited:

DCamp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/05/2019
I am working on my second 118 right now. The spring hooks into that 90d bracket on the engine and to the notchs on the lever. There is a spring loaded rod that goes in the other hole that you use to move the gov. spring on the lever to change the speed. I will look tonight to see if I have a photo it.

DCamp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/05/2019
Got mine started tonight. This engine had been in pieces for over 20 years. The wife is mad at me now as it filled the house with smoke.