• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

FM 1922 1.5hp Z Restoration Information

Jackengineering

Registered
I am new to restoring hit & miss engines and would like to find some informational resources describing the typical restoration process. I would also like some reference resources supplying quality replacement parts. My plan is not to try and start the engine but instead completely disassemble it and begin the restoration process. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Welcome to STAK.......JACK....... :p

I moved your first thread to the main engine forum...... :brows:

Rick Green

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/20/2017
Welcome to the stak, you've come to the right place to find information on your project. Www.Hitnmiss.com or www.starboltenginesupplies.com are a couple of parts suppliers or find more in the sponsor section. Take lots of pictures before disassembly so you know how to put it back together again and don't forget to post them here so we can better help with advice and follow your restoration. Most of all have fun and be warned this is an addictive hobby, you can't have just one.

toomanyhandles

Registered
I'm just putting penetrating oil on my own first project, also a 1.5HP FM Z.

There are good tips in the old forum posts, and some things I found mentioned were:

-links to this 21-part series working on a Z:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipekzfKdm0

-The Complete Guide to Stationary Gas Engines
Author: Meincke, Mark

-Title: Gas Engine Restoration: A Practical Guide for Beginners
Author: Rooke, Peter

Fro the above two books, check Amazon reviews, some printings have much clearer photos than others. I got the older printings from Abe's Books or Powell's without paying an arm and a leg.

You can find pdf's of the original manual for your Z if you search. Hit and Miss engines has those manuals printed out and also a few other publications that help with getting started questions.

I haven't found anything printed that matches the tribal knowledge available in these forums though! ; )

Brian.

R. Kern

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2018
I second the idea of taking lots and lots of pictures as you tear things down..and don't forget to mark "mating" pieces like bearing caps to the bearing mounts so that things will go back exactly as they came apart...Probably too cautious on my part but when I was really active restoring and collecting I marked everything...one punch here..2 punches there, and on and on..
Enjoy the learning experience..you will get frustrated but when the "problems" get worked out and your engine is sitting there chugging along it will be worth every bit of the work and confusion..