• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ford C-850 information needed

cornbinder89

Registered
IIRC this engine is backwards in that the forwardmost cylinder is not #1. This threw me for a loop one time when I had to figure out where the plug wires go. Eventually I had to remove the valve covers and spark plugs and put wires in the cylinders and watch the valve gear go, from then I could interpret the firing order.

In shop class they told us the forward cylinder was always #1, well not on this engine.
Your thinking of the IHC SV line. The numbering I gave came right from a Ford service manual for this engine. The SV IHC's were timed off #8 IIRC
Lots of European Mfg number from the flywheel end.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
You can check the valve clearance by the firing order (15486372d). The running mates are
6372 turn engine until valves are tight on #6, adjust #1. Turn engine 90 degrees, valves will be tight on #3, adjust #5. Turn 90 degrees, #7 tight, adjust #4, etc. Two revolutions all valves will be adjusted.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I've never worked on an IH SV. But what I was saying is that the right bank on the SD Ford is offset slightly behind the left bank. In other words rod cap #5 is in front of rod cap #1 on the journal. That is the way I remember it. I've never seen a manual for the engine, I assumed they all went the way of the Sears catalog.

cornbinder89

Registered
Ok, I see what you are saying now. My Manual is newer then the engine he is working on, but I doubt much has changed over the production run.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Anyone have a source for obsolete ford gaskets? My NAPA guy looked for the valve cover gaskets for the 534, and could find no current listing. manually looking in parts books turned up nothing. HELP! Left bank leads the right, but knowing Ford, the data you guys have supplied seems to be spot on.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Fel Pro VS12436R or VS12436C (not sure the difference)

Rock auto has the R and my local NAPA catalogs them both although I don't know where they might be.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Napa has told me the number is an old but good one but it is NLA from Felpro. I have checked out EBAY and they have several venders with them. Prices all over from around 10 bucks to 85! I will be ordering 2 sets, one for now and one for future, as I am sure they will disappear being over 50 years old. I will be pulling the Holley 4 BBL off too, the cross over seals are shot and leaking. Easier to get at the distributer too with the carb off. It is really burried in the well behind the water pump! I managed to get the cap off and the points are fried, so a tune up is coming up. it took over 15 minutes to get the cap clips back on with the carrb in place. The rear clip is a real bear to get at! Still have to scrounge a tach dwell meter!

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
Fel Pro VS12436R or VS12436C (not sure the difference)

Rock auto has the R and my local NAPA catalogs them both although I don't know where they might be.

Can I take a guess that "R" designates Rubber ..... & "C" designates Cork ?

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I do not know for sure. I do know that the gaskets are available on evilbay, but prices are all over, from around 10 to 60 a set of 2. My son located a rebuild kit for the Holley 4 barrel. Turns out someone has replaced the carb with a slightly newer unit, made in 1965.

I started working on the distributor today too. The condenser screw was so tight that I broke the tip of the craftsman screwdriver off trying to get it loose. A Snap On driver finally got it loose, but when it broke loose, I thought I had broken it. SNAP! Now I still have to get a tach dwell meter! I have to get a tool to hold the screw for me so that I dont drop the screw down into the distributor.

To be continued.....

Andy

Georgia SS

Registered
Hi Andrew
I have two dist. screw starters that i have used since 1955, no idea how many hundreds or thousands times they have been used, took care of them because they helped make my bread, think I have a couple of dwell meters if they still work. got out my snapon timing light, not used in 20 years, works perfect, our last auto machine shop closed in 2019, can't get a valve faced or seat cut, dragging out my old sioux valve machine, replacing belts & cleaning, would need to drive 25 miles one way to just get one onan or briggs valve faced, hope the holley carb. has the governor.
Jimmy