• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Ford coil + ignitor: how to wire

Jebaroni

Registered
I just got an Associated Hired Man engine that runs off of battery and coil. I also got a Model T Ford Buzzcoil with Fahnstock clips on it to use with the battery. This being my first coil engine, I'm trying to figure out how to wire the coil in the circuit. Yes, I know about the "Bozzcoil" but that seems to be setup for sparkplug engines and nota low-tension ignitor. Any low-ten, model T coil wiring diagrams out there? Thanks!

Jeb

kerogas

Registered
You need a low tension coil for the ignitor , a simple magnetic winding like the magnet in a solenoid . Try using just the outside terminals on an ordinary spark coil . I have a box with the stator from a tiny japaneese alternator in it . Some guys use the coil in a flourescent lamp ballast . Get creative . WIre it all up so that when the points close , it completes the circuit through the coil and battery , and when they open it will make a dinky little blue spark (just like when you are trying to start that ford with a screwdriver) . One caveat , when running a battery on an ignitor the points in the ignitor should be normally open and only close momentarily and snap open again at the moment of ignition . If the engine was set up for a mag/ignitor they will be closed all the time . It will still work but overheat the coil and run the battery dead in short order .

Chuck
http://royalcrossfarm.com/essentials.htm

Jebaroni

Registered
Okay, could you identify the posts on the Model T coil for me? I don't know what wires go where on it as it doesn't appear to have anything labled.

Also, if the internal condensor is still good, but you run an external resistor on the outside just in case, how does that affect spark quality? Thanks.

oldironcollector

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/23/2016
Model T coils are buzz coils for high tension for use with a spark plug, If my memory serves me correctly the top post on the side closest to the points is battery + and the post below it is to the spark plug and battery- is on the bottom of the coil on the opposing end of the points.

Denny

Roger White

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2020
Recommend using the search function on this site. Search buzz coil, this has been asked before many times.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Jeb,
Chances are that the internal condenser on your "T" coil is bad. Very few are still good these days. You can hook up an external condenser and get good results. You don't need a resistor at all. Model T coils thrive on 12 volts. The model T magneto had output of around 20 volts or more, so you're not going to hurt it by putting more than 6 volts to it.

Mike

Joe Morris

Registered
Jeb.you don't use a buzz coil on an ignitor fired engine. You can use a coil from an automobile. the older type round tall ones will work o,k. to hook up to the engine useing a 6 or 12volt battery. run a wire from the one of the battery post either one,pos or neg, dont matter which, to one of the small posts on the coil, then run a wire to the ignitor terminal from the other small /side coil post. the center,coil wire post is not used at all. than run another wire from the other post of the battery to a good ground on the engine. On most if not all, Associated engines there are two posts on the lower side on the ignitor body. if yours has the posts hook up a small weak spring to the one that will hold the points open when at rest to avoid running the battery down and overheating the coil. Bingo, its that simple. I hope this helps a little, good luck in a good hobby, Joe Morris

Jebaroni

Registered
Thanks Joe;

I have tried the search function looking under "ignitor" and "Buzzcoil" and could not find much that was pertinent other than the Bozzcoil which is a spark plug configuration. I have built a bozzcoil and tested and verified that it works....with a spark plug. However, being an ignitor engine, I was at a loss as to how to use a bozzcoil or even a regular model T coil with my ignitor engine. I figured that I could just use the small terminals on a regular automotive coil, but I like old stuff and have a model T coil that came with the engine. I knew that Model T coils were designed for mags and plugs, but so many people use them in old engines, i figured that someone knows how to wire up a T coil on an ignitor. That is all i'm after. Joe, I appreciate your response and will definately wire that up, both as an alternative and as a means of verifying good strong spark. However, back to my original question; How would I/could I wire up a buzzcoil for an ignitor. I guess it now looks like is this even possible? If a buzzcoil is wired for plugs, it must also have primary and secondary windings like a modern coil, right? If you bypass the primary on a modern coil and just use the two small posts, why could you not do the same on a buzzcoil? I just don't know what hooks to what and this is the heart of my question.

Again, I appreciate the responses and apologize for the confusion. If this very question has been asked in the past and is covered under the archives, what would be a better keyword to search under other than "ignitor" or Buzzcoil? Thanks again.

Jeb

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Jeb,
If I were you I'd just get my hands on a low tension coil and be done with it. Nothing works better than a true low tension coil.

A buzzcoil will flatout not work with an ignitor. I don't know how it could with the points being in the primary circuit.

Mike

Jebaroni

Registered
Ok, so just to make sure i've got everything right (writing this as I just woke up this morning....); Wire from either battery terminal to either side post of a modern cylindrical automotive/tractor coil; wire from other side post of coil to "hot" side of ignitor; wire from "ground" side of ignitor back to other terminal on battery and a knife switch thrown in there somewhere, preferably on the hot side. Also making sure that the points on the ignitor are set up for Normally Open operation. Is this correct? Looks like i'll be keeping my eye out for a low-tension coil once the shows start back up. Thanks for the help guys.

Jeb

John Raney

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/15/2015
Jeb. I have used a Ford model "T" coil for a low tension igniter engine. You have to use the primary winding. If you stand the coil on end with the points up, you would use the bottom button for one connection, and one of the nuts that hold the top part of the points for the other. You would also want to put a strip of elec. tape between the points to prevent a tickle.

Ralph Leonard

Registered
Jeb, block the buzzer contacts CLOSED. connect to bottom term and term next to buzzer. Now you have a low tension coil.

Polarity doesn't matter. I used this method before I came by low tension coils.

Rich Martz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/16/2019
I've started using a flouresent (sp?) light ballast. Works very good. Just keep trying till you find a pair that work.......:crazy:

Mark Birdeau

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2012
Jeb If I wanted to use a buzz coil on an igniter engine here is what I would try.
buzz coil.jpg
A and B would be added to the engine by you.A would attach to the trip rod and B would be attached to engine but insulated so as not to ground until it makes contact with A.(A and B could be attached in other places)I would set the A and B contacts so they touch slightly before the igniter trips.I think the igniter could be normaly open or closed but probably would work best if normaly open.I would think this set up would give one heck of a spark,but may be to much for igniter points.I have never tried this but I think it should work.Maybe some one with more now how can improve on it or tell me I'm full of it and it won't work.
A or B would need to be flexable so they make good contact and don't break.

Mark:

Mark Birdeau

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2012
Got to thinking about it at around 1:00 A.M.this morning when I couldn't get back to sleep and decided the points would have to be normaly closed or the buzz coil would just jump the open points like it was a spark plug. Mark:

KidDynamo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/10/2018
Junkologist said:
Jeb,
If I were you I'd just get my hands on a low tension coil and be done with it.

Mike
Get running with whatever you have around but keep your eyes open for a vintage low tension coil to buy or trade for when you can.

The "real" ones have the right "look and feel" that adds to your engine.

That's how I see it.