• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ford/ NH 16x16 quad mod

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
not quiet a antique but getting close. can anybody recommend a parts source preferably aftermarket? fellow has all the manuals on this tractor and i just went thru the motor for him about two years ago. He has lost gears 5 thru 8. going to have to go inside found chunks in the hyd filter. I figure he has lost a clutch pack. he has had problems with the shuttle syncro every since he has owned the tractor 20+ years and would like that fixed too while its apart. every thing i am finding is out of the UK. this is in a ford / newholland 7740sle.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
This is what i was afraid of! I have found a syncro & the friction / steel disc but thats about it! and it is looking like you have to order everything separately. no kit!

barry ayres

Registered
5 thru 8 thats a range problem not clutch pack check cables under cab floor the fwd rev and range are beside each other the alu cones have a habbit of breaking the bottom flange off if you are lucky could be both problems else its syncro's sit down before pricing they are expensive over here

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
there was large chunks of steel caught in the hyd filter, think the steel plates as far as size. they were large enough that the filter would bind up and not want to come off! In my opinion from looking at the pictures in the manual i think a drum has came apart. I am not sure we are on the same page as far as the range, he has 1 thru 4 in high range. I will have to do some more studying in the book, thankfully he has New Holland repair manual! This is the same manual the dealer has and i forget what he said he paid for them but it was $$$$$ and he has all of them on this tractor. The engine manual was very thorough!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well i got good news this morning, he finally took my advise and found a transmission with a warranty! We may dig into his and see what happened, all depends on what shipping will cost to send his core back to them. if the shipping and the core price is close chances are he will keep the old one and we will look into it. Takes the heat off of me doing it this way though, and that is a good thing!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
if he has 1,2,3, and 4 all the clutch packs are working. steel in filter has more likely come from pto clutch or hyd pump drive.
By golly you are right! this thing only has 4 clutch packs and reading the book this morning "in second gear clutches c2 & c3 are engaged" then it goes on to say "In third gear clutches c1 & c4 are engaged". so he may not be as messed up as he thinks he is!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well well well! I called him up and asked him, have you had any problems with the pto? yes, wont turn off. there is where the metal has came from. He was running one hell of a brush hog last fall, maybe a little too big for his tractor! so I guess i get to do some more reading...

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Thanks! I have been reading so much it made my head hurt, and the manuals really didnt cover if the cab had to come off or not. if i understand it correctly the pto clutch is stuffed up in the left side in the front of the rear end standing behind the tractor. sound right? i have looked thru three different sections of the manuals and you get a little bit of info on the pto clutch in all of them. just enough to confuse the hell out of you if you have never been into one!

barry ayres

Registered
Yes pto front of rear section can come out by split but easiest option is to remove lift cover top link bracket gear and shaft remove pipe and two pins lhs fiddly but can do with tank on unclip feed pipe and lift out clutch. If it stops uder load when switched off probably a broken brake band.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
barry you have been a wealth of knowledge on this! No good place to work on this tractor and he is more interested in getting gears 5 thru 8 back at the moment. he feeds with it and wont need the pto until warmer weather. Do you think some of the exploded pto may be preventing him from getting into the 5-8 range?

barry ayres

Registered
Not likely. Best place to start is remove cab floor and check cable ends the cone adjuster often breaks or the clamp and bolts come undone. If it's hard to get chn parts try your local hydraulics place the aluminium parts are the same as used on many cable operated valves. You can also remove plate on top cover and see fork and synchro.. Once had the fork screws come loose allowing 1 to 4 only. Be aware these screw also adjust position of fork on rail. To adjust put rail in neutral detent losen one and tighten the other screw until synchro is centred then adjust cable to centre leaver.