• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ford Tractor with V8 Conversion Value

Mark Boltjes

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/29/2010
I have a chance to buy a little ford tractor that has a Ford flathead V8 engine. I don't know much about these - can someone help with a value ??? The tractor I'm looking at is in very good condition - new tires - looks really nice and runs excellent -- thank you

78Loadstar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/11/2020
Re: Ford tractor with V8 conversion value

Can't help with value but just remember if you are going to work it you have anywhere between 65 and 85 HP depending on engine in front of a 23 HP rear end.
Dennis

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Mark: is it an original Funk conversion kit or home built?

78loadstar: Good point but I've never heard of driveline failing with these conversions. There's a guy in Brazil I think who has an 8N with a 6v53 Detroit in it:D that would get me nervous!

78Loadstar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/11/2020
That would make me nervous also. I would like to see it in action though.
Dennis

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018
Correct me if I,m wrong but it seem to me that Ford used truck components in the 9and 8 n rear end. Bill H.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
They had conversion kits for installing either the flathead V8 or the 6 cyl ford engine inn those tractors. I think you can still get them.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I've seen a V8 8N hooked up to a pulling sled. The drive line is not in danger, but the tires were. . . the thing threw rooster tails all the way down the track! :crazy:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
I think that lack of traction is the saving grace factor, tie it down so it has traction and I think you will see parts scattered all over the place!

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Oh yeah, you would not want to weight it down to where it would get a bite...
That was a sweet little tractor, the guy who built it had MS, & I don't know what ever happened to it. It wasn't a Funk, he built his own adapter plate & all. Did a good job...

s100

Registered
I'm not saying for absolute certain but I faintly remember reading someplace that Ford actually built a very few tractors with the V8 engine. Yes there were conversions but these were supposed to be all Ford. If the one you are looking at is all Ford then I guess it would be worth a bit more than a conversion, but I have no idea how one would determine which is which.

Someone around here listed one on craigslist a while back. It was painted and polished like no tractor ever left the factory. He put finned aluminum heads and three carburetors on the thing (as if THAT was needed) and said it ran as well as it looked. I can't remember the price but I recall it was up in the stratosphere, something around $10K. I doubt it sold for anything like that.

Ford was a good one for commonality of parts and saving money in every way so I can see him using as many existing parts as possible in his products. That makes the idea of using his V8 a natural, It's short so it will fit under the existing sheet metal and other stuff with little if any modification. I am by no stretch of the imagination a fan of V8 engines but I have always had a soft spot in my head for the Ford flatty. It has more than its share of flaws and shortcomings, but it is in many ways a unique milestone engine. A tractor like that could be fun to own. Let us know if you buy it, and remember the internet law: No pics, didn't happen!

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
My brother saw an 8N that someone had installed a Lincoln flathead V-12 in.

Kris Golden

Registered
The rear end gears were designed for flathead V8 power and are the same gears found in a 2-ton truck of the era.

I'm reminded of back in the early days of tractor pulling a local guy had an F-30 Farmall with a blown 427 Chevy engine. The stock F-30 gears took the power fine.

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
Saw one for sale about 4 years ago. Pretty nice but not over the top with chrome and polish. Seller wanted $5k. Seemed reasonable.