• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Fordson F Bosch Mag / Governor Conversion questions

sparkie

Registered
Hi all.
Am new here, so hope this post gets up!

I have a Bosch Magneto / Governor conversion unit for a Fordson F.

It's missing the mag.
I'd like to know if anyone can please tell me the make & model of mag that was fitted originally? I'm guessing it's a Bosch mag?

I guess I can just put any mag on there, to get it working. But, I need to know the Direction of Rotation of the mag I need to be looking for.
Could some one please let me know what Direction of Rotation (when looking at the drive end), of the mag I need?

Also, was the original mag an impulse mag?

Would love to see a pic of the drive part of the mag on a complete unit, if any one is able to post or send some pics.

Also, I would like to know how the linkages from the governor are connected up to the throttle.
I have some of these linkage parts, but I don't think i have them all. I'm just not sure how it all hooks up.
I'd love to see some good pics of how this linkage is connected from the governor to the throttle.

Hoping some one may be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Ed Bezanson

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
05/05/2016
Dave First we need to know what type of mag conversion you are talking about. there are many different types and styles. The most common made by half a dozen companies is drived of the timer location and looking from the seat of the tractor goes from right side with the mag sticking out the left. You can use juust about any kind of older mag along as you have the correct coupling fiber washer to connect the mag to the drive shaft. Off hand don't know the direction of rotation on the drive which depends on the type you have. My new Fordson book depicts many of these drives. Get back with more info and I will try to help you sourt it out. Ed B

DCamp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/05/2019
The Bosch mag for our Fordson F has a number U4 ED4V2. Hope this is a help

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
No matter what it's supposed to be I'd put an impulse mag on no matter what.

Butch Howe

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Sparkie, Do you have the camshaft drive gear that goes with the mag bracket? Most of those brackets don't have the gear as it went to the scraper with the tractor.
I've got a Fordson with a Wico high tension mag on it. Most any base mount mag will work.
I'd like to help you with your linkage but need more information. A lot of different systems were used on the Fordson.

sparkie

Registered
Hello Ed.

Thanks for the post.

Will try & put up some pics of the bracket.

It's a Bosch made bracket.
It's got a brass badge riveted onto it that says it's made by Bosch. There are no other details, like model or serial number, on the badge.

Yes, it's driven from where the timer would be.
The mag would stick out to the left, when sitting on the tractor.

Thanks,

Dave.

Attachments

sparkie

Registered
The Bosch mag for our Fordson F has a number U4 ED4V2. Hope this is a help
Hello Dcamp.

Thanks for that info on the model of mag on your Fordson F.

Is your bracket a Bosch made one?

Is it the same as mine ?? I've now worked out how to post pics, so have got a few shots of my Bosch bracket up there.

If yours is the same as mine; would you be able to tell me the direction of rotation of the mag (from the drive end of the magneto).

Thanks,

Dave.

sparkie

Registered
Sparkie, Do you have the camshaft drive gear that goes with the mag bracket? Most of those brackets don't have the gear as it went to the scraper with the tractor.
I've got a Fordson with a Wico high tension mag on it. Most any base mount mag will work.
I'd like to help you with your linkage but need more information. A lot of different systems were used on the Fordson.
Hello Butch.

Thanks for the post.

Yes, fortunately, I have the drive gear that goes on the end of the Fordson camshaft!

Will post a shot of the gear, along with all the linkages that came with the bracket.

If you could help with info & pics of the correct way to connect up the linkages on the Fordson F, that would be much appreciated.

I've sort of worked out that the bracket would have had an impulse mag on it originally.
The magneto base mounting holes on my bracket are far enough from the drive coupling to allow for an impulse fitted mag to bolt right on.
I've fitted up a car mag (non impulse) & bolted it down. But, there's just way too much room between the end drive shaft on the car mag & the coupling.
So it's got to be an impulse mag.
Just need to know the correct direction of rotation of the mag.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Attachments

Ed Bezanson

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
05/05/2016
Dear Sparkie This is a mag adapter I have not seen before. It looks like you have the important gear and bolt to hook to the cam shaft end. The bracket for the mag mount seems a bit short but can't tell without setting on an engine. Remember the crank rotates CW and the cam CC but not sure whaT direction the mag drive shaft will turn but assume it would be standard for most early mags and I have used many different impulse units on my Fordson fleet. Maybe Butch can shed more light on this conversion since he has been messing with this stuff a lot longer than I have. Keep the updates coming. Ed B

sparkie

Registered
Hello Ed.
Thanks for the post.
Yes, the all important drive gear for the camshaft is there! Wouldn't like to have to get one made - especially without a pattern / sample!

I thought that this conversion might be a semi common one, being made by Bosch themselves? I mean, Bosch was a well known & respected name; so I thought that they might have sold a high number of these Mag/Governor conversions? Maybe these Bosch ones were expensive too, making them not overly common?

Have checked the mag mount part of the bracket carefully; & can confirm it has not been cut or modified. It fits a standard mag on there, no worries.

Yes, I think I will be able to set it up & soon work out the direction of rotation of the mag that I'll need.

I just really need to know now how all the linkages from the governor to the throttle go!

Would love to see some pics of those linkages; or hear back from some one who does have one of these conversions fitted up to their Fordson F.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Dave, yours is the German made magneto/governor conversion. They were always fitted with a Bosch FF4A and a short couple impulse. They are a lot more common in Australia than the American made ones. I have two the same as yours, but they have been taken off the tractor so I'm also missing the governor rod. Those camshaft gears are usually missing, so you're lucky there. I 'think' it's a clockwise rotation, but you'll be able to figure it out -the camshaft turns clockwise, and then trace it up from there to the magneto. the stud on the bottom angle housing screws out against the bottom of the radiator to hold everything in place.

I do have the booklet for this conversion that shows how to set it up and all of the linkages if you'd like a copy (have to give me a bit of time to find it).

In Australia most of the Sunshine auto headers fitted with a Fordson engine had these conversions. Most of the Tracksons sold here had them as well.

Regards Craig

---------- Post added 06-19-2011 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-18-2011 at 11:44 PM ----------

Now I think about it, camshaft turns anti-clockwise on an F, clockwise on an N. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

And clockwise on N too, sorry again.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

And anti-clockwise on N too, sorry again

sparkie

Registered
Hello Craig, thanks for the post.

That info on the magneto model is what I'm after, thanks.

Yes, as you say, I'll be able to derive what rotation magneto I need, by following up through the drive train. No worries, worked out camshaft turns anti clockwise looking at it from the front.

Yes, the badge says it's German made.

Thanks for pointing out the function of the bolt on the little housing. Was wondering how that housing was secured, as it couldn't use the original timer retainer clip.

Interesting, I was told that this conversion actually came off a wrecked auto header.

Yes please, would love a copy of the booklet some time - especially if it shows the linkages. No hurry at all.

Yes, I don't have any other linkages or rods either, other than those few bits that are in the pics. Clearly, there's got to be bits missing from my linkages/rods. Haven't seen a complete one on a tractor, so am unsure as to how it all exactly hooks up & what's missing in the linkages.

Thanks again,
Dave.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Dave, no problem. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll be able to find the book. The book I'm talking about is also printed by the same people as this ad, Robert Bosch Supply and Service Co. Melbourne.

The impulse is the same as what is typically fitted to a Bosch FU4B, with the metal cover covering it the same as those fitted to the Hart-Parr's and 10-20 Internationals.

I'll also be driving past an auto header in the mean-time with one on it, so I can get a photo of that. Every Sunshine auto header I've seen has the German Bosch magneto/governor setup. The Sunshine auto headers had a special Australian made petrol manifold, which I think deserves a photo as well. They had a brass Schebler carburettor.

I think there is also a complete setup on the Fordson powered Wehr grader at the Scoresby steam centre as well (I think, I must check!). There probably are very few of this type of Bosch magneto setup's in the US, now that I think about it. I've been collecting bits for one of these magneto conversions for the last few years to put on my Trackson.

What F model Fordson do you have?

Regards Craig

Attachments

DCamp

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/05/2019
Sorry I have not got back to you. No mine is differant. I just got the tractor home yesterday. I will get some pics and try to post them. Spring has sprung and work is over my head right now.

Butch Howe

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Dcamp, That is a stock production magneto bracket for a model N started with the Irish tractor in 1928. I've got a pile of them down in the barn :bonk::bonk: