• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Found a small trove of history in taps

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
While digging through the shop today to find something I havent seen in years I came across a small 1950's gray wrinkle paint Craftsman tin 1/4" drive socket set clamshell case I was given many years ago by a friend cleaning house that has long since passed I also havent seen in there in years. It was in a box of other stuff he collected over the years like a very well made small forged clamp on Stanley vice, an NOS Winchester miners flashlight with battery box, a large S.B.Church bronze plaque, a nickel plated ornate victorian twist door bell, and a Sparton Ah Ooh Gah horn off a 1929 Chrysler. I opened it to find it packed solid with very old odd taps by names I've never heard of. Lucky, Card, J.M. Carpenter Tap & Die Co, Hyde Park MFG Co, R. Steck & Co, L.B. Miller, Hercules ( F.E. Wells & Co), S.T. Co. Anyone ever hear of these and know when they closed their doors? I'm thinking these are 1900-1930's.