• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Found an old MB17 Generator

cornbinder89

Registered
Yeah, you'd never turn it by hand, you'll need a bar and socket. Doesn't have an "injection pump per-se" it has a fuel pump either a PTG or PTR (can't see well enough to tell).

cornbinder89

Registered
What about the missing balancer on the front of the crank? From the pic's it doesn't look like there is anything on the front end of the crankshaft.

930dreamer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2011
The front hub has the radiator fan, I removed it in the video, or are you talking about the lower disc cradled between the two caps(has zerk fitting)?

Last edited:

cornbinder89

Registered
The front hub has the radiator fan, I removed it in the video, or are you talking about the lower disc cradled between the two caps(has zerk fitting)?
Yeah, the front end of the crankshaft, they normally have some sort of damper on there. Fan drive is just that, fan.

cornbinder89

Registered
I'll see what I can find in a CPL book. Just odd that it doesn't have one. The front mount is a saddle type mount used on both the 6 cyl and fours. The front cover has a "snout" that the mount clamps around. One would think a 4 banger would be in more need of a damper than a 6, but both would need them.
Never seen an N series Cummins without a damper, but this is the 1st 4 cyl where I have been able to see the front of the engine.
Normally the front oil seal is pressed on and seals to the inside of the "snout".

Wessone

Registered
MB-16, 17, 18, & 19. Brings back some bad memories....why the battery compartment was so high...why the batteries were so heavy. Why were there about 15 steps/panel settings required to start the thing-over engineered is right. Ours had diesel fuel fired oil heaters-greatly needed in central FL. But looks like it should be a fun project. Good luck!

930dreamer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2011
Should I separate the gen from the engine to start? It would be nice if the gen made power but its missing a number of gauges so I don't know.20200202_125516.jpg20200202_125526.jpg

Last edited:

dieselsteveo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'm by no means an expert on generators, but that engine looks pretty good...like put in fresh fluids and filters and I bet it'll run good. If the generator looks similar, I wouldn't disconnect them....largely because I suck at generator realignment and like to avoid it whenever possible. Why add work? Should be able to disconnect your field coils and prevent the generator from producing any power while spinning until you're ready for it to do so.

If you're willing, please share the engine's serial # off the datatag. I'm curious to know more about when it was made