• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Fountain Solid State Intercom

mihit

Registered
So a friend has bought me this, he used to have it set up between his house and shop so his wife could growl him without having to brave the cold hinterland between...

He couldn't give me specifics of how it was wired as an old friend of his (since passed) put it in for him.

I figure it either runs over mains (240VAC here) or a phone line... my issue with the phone line is that if it was not connected to the telco, it wouldn't have had power (about 50V from memory)

My searching has come up fruitless, there's a lot of wise cats here so someone may know...

Attachments

autosparkii

Registered
Only a guess here.

You have a master and a slave,
It looks like mains powered master, slave is connected with 2 core cable.

I've seen a few of various makes all seemed to work in a similar way.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Hmmm...

You have two units... are they identical inside, or is the remote (slave) just a speaker?

The FIRST thing I would do (if it were in my shop) is determine where the power supply comes IN. My gut tells me that it PROBABLY expects a low-voltage DC supply... in the range of 12 to 48vdc or so... from a wall-transformer, a dedictated power supply, or a station battery. IF it has an internal supply, there would be a 240vac to whatever lower voltage is required. There would be an AC line cord going to an internal transformer, then to a rectifier (probably a full-wave bridge) and a filter capacitor.

If the remote was just a speaker and a switch, then it used the speaker as a speaker to talk, and a microphone when listening.

If it has a switch at the speaker, it either uses 3 or 4 wire connection (two for speaker, two for switch, or two for speaker, one for switch (shares one in common with speaker) or two for speaker, and the switch provides a short circuit of the speaker to provide a call signal at the master.