• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

G B Essex Brass Drip Lubricator

Garak

Registered
I have a G B Essex lubricator on my 1914 Associated which I believe is original to the engine.

The lubricator is looking a little dirty and 'gritty' inside but I am reluctant to try to open it up for cleaning. It still works fine. Would it be OK to half fill it with gasoline to help shift the gunk that as built-up inside over the years?

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Sure, you can do that. I have taken the spray carb cleaner with the long spout and stuck it down in the oil filler hole. The pressurized cleaner does a good job of cleaning and dries out quickly. You could take it apart and clean the Oiler but I’m sure you would have to buy or make new gaskets.

Garak

Registered
Sure, you can do that. I have taken the spray carb cleaner with the long spout and stuck it down in the oil filler hole. The pressurized cleaner does a good job of cleaning and dries out quickly. You could take it apart and clean the Oiler but I’m sure you would have to buy or make new gaskets.
Thanks, I did not want to take it apart unless I had to. Do you know what the hook is for that is attached to the filler hole cap?

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
The hook if for a chain which goes around the center post and it prevents the filler plug from getting lost.