• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Gang Car Available

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Interesting that it would have a separate 'reversing' transmission.

Though I guess that would give it 4 speeds in either direction.

Should be able to add in a longer driveshaft and run it as-is with the standard Truck Transmission that's in it having a reverse, albeit a Slow reverse.

Engine looks to be a 1936 or earlier as they changed to the Center Water Outlet on the heads in 37.

I'd Love to have it to play with on our Club's Railroad in Freeport IL but I don't have a way to haul it myself right now. Might be able to have a friend haul it but I'd have to check his schedule.

:salute:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I wonder who ended up with it? Seemed like there was a bit of interest near the end of the RR thread

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
It went to the BR&W A few of our young volunteers took my truck and trailer and hauled it back. It needs a real odd ball reversing trans. We were told it's a North western make. Has a 6 cyl Ford flat head in it which supposedly run a few years ago. If anyone has info/parts we should would appreciate it. Rob

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2019
It went to the BR&W A few of our young volunteers took my truck and trailer and hauled it back. It needs a real odd ball reversing trans. We were told it's a North western make. Has a 6 cyl Ford flat head in it which supposedly run a few years ago. If anyone has info/parts we should would appreciate it. Rob
Appears to me and Harry, it has a Flathead 8, they were around 100hp. But so glad you saved it!

Last edited:

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
I miss typed 6 instead of 8 still looking for info on it. Especially if someone knows where another 1 is. The transmission is likely not repairable without some new parts.rob

---------- Post added at 08:05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52:27 AM ----------

Let's call it a final drive rather than a transmission.theres a truck transmission ahead of this oddball reverser final drive assembly.ndxt time I'm there I can see about a pic of the fd Rob

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Let's call it a final drive rather than a transmission.theres a truck transmission ahead of this oddball reverser final drive assembly.ndxt time I'm there I can see about a pic of the fd Rob
As I noted in Post #3. . . "Should be able to add in a longer driveshaft and run it as-is with the standard Truck Transmission that's in it having a reverse, albeit a Slow reverse." The reversing gearbox would allow it to run all 4 speeds in both directions, but if you/they can handle backing up slowly it can get by without it.

When you say "The transmission is likely not repairable without some new parts." are you referring to some problem with the truck transmission or are you referring to the reversing gearbox ?

I have a spare 37 Ford 1 1/2 ton Truck Transmission that should be a direct bolt in that I'll probably never use but I'd hate to even guess what it would cost to ship the heavy beast.

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
The reverversing final drive would have to be able to function in order to even add another trans.Trying to remember right it has 1 pinion gear and 2 ring gears.you slide the ring gears which are on a spool to either side for forward and reverse. A detent holds it in position The pinion gear and 1 ring gear are pretty bad.Not a very good setup from the start.Ring and pinions are usually set up precisely shimmed for contact pattern and backlash.with this setup there's no way to do this so when the dentent and other parts get worn the ring and pinion partially meshs
You probably could put it together and fix some of bad worn parts but I think it would rumble and maybe finish itself off. I don't think there's room to add another trans thanks for the offer.i will keep it in mind . I was thinking of maybe adapting a trans from a Farmall A/B but that would be a lot of changing and not sure about gear ratios.aftet the final drive there are chain sprokets with more reductions. Then to the drive axel.Rob

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
I know this is an old thread but the Ohio Railroad Museum in Worthington Ohio also has one with a bad odd ball reverser. In this case it looks as if the output shaft that has the two ring gears with what I suspect were needle bearings and that rode on the shaft mangled the shaft. It looks as if it was ran without oil and was taken apart long ago and the bearings and so forth are gone. Thinking is it's a Kalamazoo brand as it has Kalamazoo wheels.
I'm wondering how the recipients solved this problem. This one has a 4 cylinder engine that my grandson and I got it running. I'm thinking a modified differential could work or possible mating a hydraulic pump to the transmission, forward and reverse valve and a hydraulic motor driving the axle. Any follow up on a solution would be apperiated.

Thanks, Joe

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
The recipients haven't solved the problem yet.they did get the engine running. They put the final drive/ transaxle back together as worn out as it is. It did move under it's own power but made some nasty noises🤪

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Appears to me and Harry, it has a Flathead 8, they were around 100hp. But so glad you saved it!
As I noted in an earlier post, that is a 1936 (or earlier) (85hp) engine as it still has the front water outlets. In 37 they changed to the Center outlets while keeping the 21 Studs. In 38 they changed from 21 studs to 24 (Still 85hp)

The 100hp engines didn't come out until sometime After the change to 24 studs.

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Just an FWI on the reversing gearbox, the pinion gear has 11 teeth and the ring gears, yes two of them, have 39 teeth for a ratio of 3.55 to one. That's in the range of standard rear wheel drive cars so in theroy a standard automobile differential could be modified but as point out above it would be slow going in reverse:rolleyes: