Garden-All – Gard’n Mast’r Tractor...

Paul Spence

Subscriber
I got a text/picture message from a friend late Thursday afternoon, with the question, any interest in this stuff, on the curb near me :confused: . Initially I thought to my self, I don’t need it :shrug: , but, I sent the picture to another friend who said do you know what it is. NO! It looks like a Shaw garden tractor, go get it (DUH). Then I called my other friend back and said, “yes”, but it’s too late for me to hook up the trailer and get it. He doesn’t have a trailer, so he said he’d go back and talk to the guy. He gave the guy $20, and they dragged it back in the yard for our pick up in the morning, along with some other stuff. Then I went out back, found the trailer hitch, straps, ramps and electric winch in the shed :uhoh: . I guess I’m primed and ready to go, early in the morning, after six weeks of taking it easy, from my hernia operation (easy does it) :rolleyes:.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Re: Gardenall – Gard’n Mast’r tractor ….

Well, I got up early Friday morning, loaded the truck and trailer, and off to meet my friend 15 miles or so up the road. As I drove down the city street, the local junk pick up was right behind me. Another few minutes and it would have been “TRASH” :( in the city dump :p . Anyway, we hooked up, loaded up, strapped down the load, and off we went after I gave him his $20 deposit to secure it. As we were loading it up I found it’s not a Shaw, but a Gardenall Tractor made in Liberty, Indiana :yikes: . Now the hunt is on :uhoh: for Gardenall Tractor Co. information.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Re: Gardenall – Gard’n Mast’r tractor ….

Here is a picture of it up on the trailer :O . Needs to be pushed forward for loading more “stuff” :shrug: , like the snow plow blade, and the Snapping Turtle mower with “Tiller” steering, and...:uhoh: . Unfortunately, there were no attachments or sheet metal :shrug: .

Attachments

Re: Gardenall – Gard’n Mast’r Tractor...

Good luck finding info, it is scarce ! If you have Facebook, there is a Garden-All site on there. I have a two wheel walk behind my boys want to restore. Mainly just need to figure out what model Briggs is on it, then find parts for the engine.

Paul Spence

Subscriber

I scrapped off a couple layers of paint :uhoh: to find the B & S engine numbers, and its a10HP-cast iron one (243431) made in 1978. The points (rusty) cover is missing so I guess they had a problem of sorts with spark :confused: . The engine has some compression, and the 7” x 16” tires and rims (4 bolt rims?) need some work, as does most everything on it :shrug: , But, I go forward with the challenge, to just get it operational, and hope to have more “FUN”, even in NJ, on the way through, driving it :brows: .

uglyblue66

Subscriber

WOW!. that is 1 of those times when i would have been out at 11 oclock at night if need be with winches and ropes! Morning? Naw, may be to late.GIT IT NOW before the scrap man gets it.

You did good on that.Even if you don't "need it" someone else may want it and you saved it from certain death.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Re: Garden-All – Gard’n Mast’r Tractor...

I’ve been doing some internet searching, and am finding some interesting information on the Garden All Tractor Inc. company, but not much on the Gard’n Mast’r tractor itself :shrug: . The hunt continues. In the meantime, I pulled off the rusty point assembly and carburetor. Ordered a carburetor rebuild kit, and cleaned up the point’s assembly in the blast cabinet :) . The shifter was a bit tight and loosened up nicely with a bit of TLC (Cleaning and oil). It now shifts nicely into all gears in the 3 speed “H” shift pattern :O . Here are a few more pictures of the Gard’n Mast’r tractor :uhoh: .

Attachments

gootsch

The transmission looks like the same one used in many of those small assembled tractors of that period and up until at least the 1990's. I think it was made by Spicer Dana as was the differential and its housing.

Paul Spence

Subscriber

From some of the internet searches, I found that the transmission and differential are 1935-1938 Chrysler products ;) .

I cut the rotten tire off the wheel with a pair of loping shears and removed the wheel off the hub. Those 4 hub bolts were tough to remove, but I got them off. The Garden All 4 bolt rear wheel hub pattern is 5” C-C, and there are four brackets that adapt the wheels to the hub, and there are a second set of adapter brackets that take the 5” C-C bolt pattern from the hub to the 8.5” C-C wheel 4 bolt pattern. Sure is a strange way to adapt the wheels to the hub! Here are a couple of pictures of the wheel, and hub adaptor brackets. Now to clean up the “RUSTY” wheel and find a set of matching 7:00 x 16 tires, tubes and liners. The engine ignition needs some work, and finding the contact/points cover (211327-#345) is eluding me for the time being. My friend, eBay has them once in awhile, and the local mower shop tried, but couldn't help. Just hope the coil is good :confused: as I don't really want to pull the engine :( . Sure was fun, even in NJ, on the way through

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spence

Subscriber

I worked a bit on one wheel getting “some” of the crusty rust off, and all 8 of the wheel bolts cleaned up :p . Now I’m just waiting for a warm up (in the 20’s all day) to paint the inside of the rim, and the 7.00 x 16" tubes and flaps to be delivered to the front door so I can mount the 7.00 x 16” tire and get it on the tractor. But, I may have a problem with the rusty, sharp, tube valve hole in the rim that needs to be rebuilt first :( . I’ve been looking at YouTube fixes on how to do that. Then I’ll have to do the other side with a matching tire :shrug: . All in a days "FUN" on the way through, even in NJ :uhoh: .

Attachments

Junkologist

Subscriber

I’ve repaired holes like that by brazing a big flat washer inside formed to the contour of the rim.

Paul Spence

Subscriber

I went to the “washer” collection :crazy: and picked a nice 5/8” one for the TR15 inner tube stem, wheel hole repair. I made a few precision bends :uhoh: in it, to fit right on the wheel rim. But, I have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before cleaning up the spot and welding it in place :shrug: , outside, where it's been in the low 20’s all day. Brrrrr… :( .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber

Almost :O . Here’s the damaged tire I easily took off the rim :uhoh: . No wonder the rim was “a bit RUSTY” and in need of repair :p . Only getting about an inch or so of "SNOW" today :)

Attachments

Junkologist

Subscriber

Yeah, I’ve “easily” removed a few tires like that one. Sort of redefines the word “easily”!:D

Paul Spence

Subscriber

After the foot of snow the other day and a few days of 0-20 degree temperatures, it finally got up to 30 degrees F :) today , so I cleaned up the wheel tube valve hole with my trusty needle scalier and grinder, and welded in the “new” TR15 hole (washer). Then I ground down the weld, fairly flush, and blended it in. Now I have to wait for some warmer outdoor NJ weather :( to coat the rusty, inside of the wheel rim and add some filler before proceeding. The tire, tube and tube liner are in the garage warming up waiting for mounting. In the meantime, I went to HF and picked up two 24" tire irons I need for about $6 each. Those bicycle ones I have, just won't do the job :shrug: .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber

After cleaning up the TR15 wheel hole with my trusty needle scalier, I welded in the “new” hole (washer), ground down the weld, flush, and blended in the washer. It got all the way up to 33 degrees the other day so I sprayed the inside of the wheel with black Rust-Oleum bed liner, A few days later it was dry so I tried installing the tire and tube with the old tire machine I have, was not going to work :shrug: , so I bit the bullet and went to a local garage and asked the question? Can you mount this tire and tube on this center less wheel? They said, sure, what’s the problem :confused: . No problem I just can’t manually do it myself. Twenty minutes later between jobs it was done with one of those new fangled tire machines :O . I took it home and mounted it on the Garden All tractor-nice :uhoh: . Now, to do the other side and continue working on it in warmer weather-SOON I’ll be riding around on it, after I get a seat made for it, and doing a lot of other repairs.

ps: I even got the plow setup for the Garden All Tractor.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber

With the one wheel refurbished and on, I was able to move the tractor into the green house storage that warms up nicely :D when the sun is out so I can work on it out of the weather. I took off the other wheel, removed the tire, got the needle scaller out and beat the rust scale inside the wheel with all those needles bangiing away. Then sprayed it with black Rustoleun bed liner, cleaned up the 7.00 -16 tire, got the new tube, and will take it to get it mounted in the next day or so. I have most of the ignition parts and made up a pull start rope. I hope the coil is good. If not-bummer :( . Since I have it inside, I will start assembly. I got a nice used fuel tank from a friend :O , and still need to rebuild the carburetor.

Paul Spence

Subscriber

I called the auto garage this morning, and he said, Paul bring the tire & wheel down and we’ll get her on, and they sure did. Then off to the green house in the rain. The green house plastic is 5 years old, and is at it limit, with a few patches and leaks here and their. It will need a new top on it this spring. A bit off topic, but I got the wheel on, installed the new/used gas tank, installed the points, wired it up, and we have “SPARK” :yikes: . Now to get the carburetor rebuilt and installed :p . I hope the engine is OK, and will soon find out.........The Gard’n Mast’r sure looks like a tough little guy ;) with it's new (used) shoes. Till next time, I’ll be having “FUN” even in NJ, keeping busy doing something wherever I’ll be :shrug: .

Attachments