• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Gardner Denver Air Compressor

cb1

Registered
Went to the fall equipment and contractors auction this weekend. This is the spring/fall auction where I usually bid on a win all things really old. Picked up my Hamilton Lathe and others there in the last couple years. While there was no lathes or mills there this year, I did pick up this gem. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Gardner Denver air compressor.
Powered by a KTU Buda serial number 159252. B/M PU243B

XH TYPE COMPRESSOR
NO 54994 SIZE 6 X 4-1/2

About all I could figure out is that the KTU Buda started in 1925 ish and with the steel wheels it probably from the 20-30's. Not sure.

Thanks,
cb1

Attachments

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Re: Gardner Denver air compressor

Hi CB1,
Nice unit you have there!. I have a G/D belt drive compressor that might even be the same model( I will have to check again) there doesn't seem to a lot of info on these to be found. Can you post or email me a few photos showing the sides and unloader for the compressor to compare with mine?. Also I found an air tank that looks like yours to go with my G/D(after a hydro test!) does your tank have a hand hole cleanout?.
Nathan.

cb1

Registered
Re: Gardner Denver air compressor

Nathan,

I will get some better pictures now that I have it home and in the shop. I want to winterize it and maybe fiddle with it a little before I put it away for winter. I have projects ahead of it on the list (which is growing).

Mine is direct drive, no belt. I don't think my tank has a cleanout, but will check.

What I did find interesting is that the frame is a cast piece with a serial (or model) number cast into it. I couldn't figure out some of the markings on the side of the frame until I realized that they were marks left from the molding process.

Anyway, I think I will send Gardner Denver a email and see if they have any history regards these old compressors. Who knows, they are still in business.

Thanks,
cb1

Attachments

Seafarer12

Registered
They are still around. We had some reciprocating gas compressors of theirs. They were opposed twins. One of them was always broken down due to vibration. They would rub shorts in wires and get stress cracks all the time.

That is a really nice looking compressor. I am surprised it is in that good a shape.

Grigg

Registered
First looks like governor assembly.

Second looks like gear drive housing for fan belt pulley on left and water pump on right.

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Cb1,
I finally remembered to check my G/D and found it to be the same size/model but just over 1200 units older. Have you had any luck figuring out how old your unit is?, Now to find where I put the photos of mine as it's too snowy to get new ones!.
Thanks for the extra photos,
Nathan.

fyn409

Registered
First looks like governor assembly.

Second looks like gear drive housing for fan belt pulley on left and water pump on right.
That casting on the left in the second picture is where you can drive a distributor instead of a mag. The casting on the right is the water pump. Very similar setup on the Wuakesaw used in Rumely 6A's.

cb1

Registered
Thanks for the info guys..

Update #1

First, the engine is free, the compressor is stuck. Second, anyone know what starter would fit the TKU Buda? The cover bolt pattern is symmetrical and yes, there is a ring gear in there!!

Thanks,

cb1

Attachments

cb1

Registered
Looks like the guy carving Crazy Horse use one similar to mine. Apparently he used to start it, climb the mountain, it would conk out, he would climb back down and start it and repeat up to nine times a day. LOL...

Attachments

Bud Tierney

Registered
CB1---you'll probably get better info on a starter by starting a new thread, naming the KTU, as the engine designations pretty well buried...
The KTU was not all that popular in trucks, tractors or combines (which is what most of my catalogs cover) but may've been more popular in ind'l uses like your compressor...
A possibility---a 1930 gasket catalog lists the GBU, GTU, KBU, KBUI and KTU, all listed as 4x51/4, taking the same set of gaskets, at least as to the six gaskets listed. This MIGHT mean the blocks could carry the same ring gear, and starters from those engines MIGHT fit yours...the Gs I'll have to look up, but I know the KBU/KbUI were much more popular in trucks, more likely to have elec start
I'll try to remember to check for commonality of piston assemblies, valves, bearings in the AM (past my bedtme here...
I think??? Buda parts in Shreveport has shut down???
You should count your ring teeth as soom as convenient, for any ofered comparisons...

Last edited:

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
CB1, That crazy horse unit looks pretty big(I read about one with 8" pistons so that might be what it has). In one of your photos there is something between the skids on the air tank hanging down is that a drain or a clamp for a hand hole?.
Nathan.

Bud Tierney

Registered
A 38 Victor gasket catalog adds a couple more Budas to the batch that all use the same ten or so gaskets listed---their list is GBU, GTU, KBH, KBUI (they omit KBU) and a 41/8x51/4 KT281, which I believe is the newest of the batch, and might be an update of the series...
Your KTU has a piston assembly change at eng #159,000, going from a 11/16 pin to 11/2 pin...another catalog lists it as "to 1927 ans after 1927"...
Your KTU also has a fair amount of commonality with other Budas re' piston ass'blys, valves,bearings; I can advise if you find you need hard to find or NLA internals...
You might also try John Paulsen Marine in Olympia for your starter question and/or parts; several years ago ho, or someone, posted that he had a considerable inventory of Buda parts, and he may have something to help your starter search...

cb1

Registered
Bud,

Thanks for all the information. I had thought that the Buda engine had be gone through, but now I surmise just a blast and repaint. Not sure, but I am sure I will a have to tear it down as I removed a cover where a generator would go, (found a generator on eBay that would fit except has a governor on the end that would not fit, but has a gear I need) only to find that the hole, which goes into the oil pan, is full of sand blast sand. Not good. So, now a tear down to see if they tried to run it with the sand in there and to see how far the sand got into the engine.

I will be able to tell if the engine was run and if rebuilt then. I can take the pan off while in the frame, so maybe I will get lucky...LOL..

It will be a while before I get to that as snow has caught me without some of my stuff put away.

cb1