• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Gas Engine School at Rough and Tumble

John J

Registered
Rough and Tumble Gas Engine School

Rough and Tumble still has several seats open for our first Gas Engine School offered anywhere in the US for the operation, safety, and care of gas engines. Students will operate and learn about engines from our unique oldest gas engine in the US, the Otto and Langen built in 1867 to our large 485 hp Cooper engine. Students with also run the O&L, Cooper, Twin Miller, 3 ball Klein, 15 HP Reid and some small engines as well. There is so much to learn between anything from ignition to timing of these industrial beautiful engines of the age. The Volunteers that take care of these engines are several of the most knowledgeable people in the use of these engines.

The 2017 School will be held Saturday June 24th and Sunday June 25th 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday is the practical class and engine building basics. Sunday students will run engines. The class cost is $30 per student. School will be limited to the first 12 students that apply this year. If you are interested in attending this school , more information is available here. http://www.roughandtumble.org/viewreference/77/schoolsatroughandtumble

Attachments

John J

Registered
2017 Gas Engine School at Rough and Tumble

Rough and Tumble held their first Gas Engine school offered anywhere in the US June 24th and June 25th. The school was unique with students running special engines like the 150 year old Otto Langen, the oldest internal combustion engine running in North America. Students also ran the oldest running diesel in North America as well as the 485 hp Cooper engine and many other engines.

I was a student this year and learned so much about the various engine designs, ignition, fuels, and speed control for these engines.

You can see the photos and videos here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2kIh_K9XGQ

Jeff in PA

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I really enjoyed the Engine School and learned a lot. I knew a fair amount of the descriptions really helped but all the pieces together.

Even though I was a student, I "volunteered" my Olds and Busy Boy for Sunday running.

Thanks again to all the folks who made this possible. GREAT class.

Jeff

John J

Registered
2018 Gas Engine School at Rough and Tumble

R&T 2018 Gas Engine School
Kinzers, Pa., Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Rough and Tumble has started the first Gas Engine School offered anywhere in the US for the operation, safety, and care of gas engines. Students will operate and learn about engines from our unique oldest gas engine in the US, the Otto and Langen built in 1867 to our largest 485 hp Cooper engine.
Students with also run the O&L, Cooper, Twin Miller, 3 ball Klein, 15 HP Reid and some small engines as well. There is so much to learn between anything from ignition to timing of these industrial beautiful engines of the age. The Volunteers that take care of these engines are several of the most knowledgeable people in the use of these engines.

The 2018 School will be held Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday is the practical class and engine running basics. Sunday students will run engines. Please email Kathleen Hazzard if you are interested in attending school. The application is available on the website under Resources.

School will be limited to the first 18 students that apply. Please look at our web site of previous Schools at http://www.roughandtumble.org/ in our photo section.

Attachments