• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Gasifiers

tapkoote

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2020
I know you guys are interested in heating your shops and what not. I ran across this gas generator and will study further.
I remember seeing a show on Viet Nam after the war, and there they were driving our busses and deuce-n-1/2's on coal gas.
I even bought a book on making coal gas generators. But it's tough to find coal in the PC big city nowadays. And I've got a 10HP generator head, but in times of disaster, would need bucoo gallons of gas or diesel.
https://youtu.be/a6e3CprVTi8

A supply of wood pellets would store for years I'm thinking.

https://youtu.be/a6e3CprVTi8 hope that comes up.

Last edited:

Mikey NY

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2016
Re: gasifiers

there is a member here that has posted several good videos of his onan running on wood gas. It is really cool. Maybe do a forum search and find his posts. If I ever retire and have time to do it I will. a long time ago I bought book on how to build a gasifier for an emergency situation. Wrote by FEMA. I will post the actual book info later today if I can find the book.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019

Friends converted a John Deere 'M' tractor to run on wood gas. It runs perfectly. This was done quite extensively in Europe during WW2 using wood or coal gas.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

Those are called, Suction gas producers.

I bought an IHC F-20 which had been run on a home made suction gas producer. It got so fouled with unburned products that it would not run. The guy took the engine apart and left it and I bought it from his widow. I asked about the producer and the plans and that was all gone.
There are books showing various kinds of these used successfully in power plants and industry.
Coke producers use this principle and the cleaned gas is piped through mains for commercial and residential use. It is called illuminating gas and contains much CO or carbon monoxide. We would see those tanks with an open end down smaller tank inside and a water seal and the weight of the floating inverted tank regulated the pressure the same way that the bellows box regulates the air pressure on a pipe organ.

Gomer Buehring

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/25/2016

I have a neighbor that built a gasifier on his 1 ton Chev truck, not real profitable goes kind of slow on the road, but don't pull any extra weight!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

I knew I shouldn't have watched the video! Great now I have another project, just what I need.:rotfl::wave:

nolectric

Registered
A charcoal gasifire is a good way to get your feet wet. Very simple to build and operate but requires you making charcoal. Not hard either but time consuming. Using charcoal rather than wood helps avoid the tar damage to engines associated with poorly designed or to cool running wood gasifires such as the FEMA units. I have run 5 different engines on 3 different charcoal engines so far and have a very large wood gasifire in a truck that will be completed over the winter. Output will be down but will work. Wood gas likes lots of compression and advanced ignition time. Lots of great info at Drive On Wood .com

Frigstad

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Back in the 70's - Rodale Press of "Organic Gardening and Farming" magazine ran an article on a wood gas fueled pickup that made a coast to coast trip from California to Pennsylvania.

Here's a modern website for current wood/gas fans: https://www.driveonwood.com/

I built one about three years ago and it was a dandy. No half measures, all welded vessels on a compact steel base, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I was never able to find a decent blower to get the thing started! It would almost produce combustible gas, but not quite. I finally got distracted by other projects and it got junked. I never should have given that project up though, and regret it to this day.