• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Gaskets for a 25HP Superior

Larry Anger

Registered
My son and I are rebuilding a 25HP superior and will be needing gaskets for this engine. I'm wondering what material you folks use for these gaskets? Also where do you folks buy it. This engine will require some substantial sized pieces! The gasket material that was in it appeared to be extremely thick asbestos material. Thanks for any and all information on this. Larry

con-rad

Registered
gasketstogo.com will make custom gaskets. I use Garlock 3000 for head/high temp gaskets along with copper spray paint to help it seal. Any other gasket can be made from any normal stuff. McMaster or ebay is where i buy it.

Larry Anger

Registered
gasketstogo.com will make custom gaskets. I use Garlock 3000 for head/high temp gaskets along with copper spray paint to help it seal. Any other gasket can be made from any normal stuff. McMaster or ebay is where i buy it.
Thanks for that information. I will see if I can source that stuff in Canada.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Permatex Copper Spray A Gasket Hi 80697

Fast-drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals instantly. Fills hot spots and surface imperfections. Temperature range -50 f to 500 f (-45 c to 260 c); resists all types of automotive fluids, especially gasoline. Level 3*.

PEJPE

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Please share pictures of the area around the intake valve box and the cam. Clearance is very to tight on mine. Would this be affected by the thickness of the gasket material?

Larry Anger

Registered
Please share pictures of the area around the intake valve box and the cam. Clearance is very to tight on mine. Would this be affected by the thickness of the gasket material?
The engine we are working on is a very old engine made in the first years of production. Many of the parts are different than newer engines. We have a bad interferance of the governor weights with the top of the valve chest. The top cover and corner stud have been ground away to eliminate contact with the governor weights. We have to figure out a way to overcome this. The governor bracket is different on newer engines with I believe a longer shaft to eliminate this interference. The engine we are working on is in a historic mill and we have taken the engine apart and brought what is manageable home to work on over the winter.

PEJPE

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
That is actually encouraging. Mine has the same modification for the governor weights. It also has just enough chamfer for the cam the clear. Tempting to add a shim on the sideshaft bracket to add some clearance.