• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Generac 10kw help needed 1990 SG010

NiteFarmer

Registered
Hello all,
I'm new here and want to thank all for the great info on this site. I talked to Mr. Jack Hottel and he was very helpful but suggested I make a post to get more advice.
I have a 1990 SG010-A161.2N18PDYCY, Model 90A 024 31 S, Serial 992681 with the 70965 1.2L engine. MA12, 167292A stamped in block flange. I bought it at auction and it is missing some parts. It has a Mitshibushi dist T4T21693 and is missing the button and cap and the coil. I went and bought a variety of 1990 Nissan parts at Autozone, but the buttons are nowhere close to right and not sure on the caps, seem either would fit. If someone knows the points, button, cap part numbers, it would be great.
It is also missing the circuit breaker and the wires are hanging loose inside the panel. If someone knows the breaker number and which wires connect where, it would be greatly appreciated. Can I use any breaker here for testing purposes? I don't want to sink a lot of money into it until I know it runs and makes power. Any other advice is welcome as well.
Thanks, Mark

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Information from the factory on things of this age is nonexistent but I did just happen into a pretty complete set of Generac manuals from the mid 1990s which covers stuff into the past as well.

That being said, I have no idea what engine it is but if you would shoot some pictures, I would know better. Especially of the distributor, and what is left of the breaker arrangement.

NiteFarmer

Registered
Ok, I checked the wire numbers as well as took some pics. The power wires are 44 & 11. The three little blue wires are S44, S15 and S15. There is another wire #5 that is more towards the center and has a wire nut on it.
The three wires out by the dist I'm assuming are for the coil are 25, 14 and I think 13, but cant quite make it out(it has a diode inline with it). From what Jack had told me, it should be a Nissan engine.
Trying to figure out how to add the pics..........

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
I am not much on Generac. But I recall the company I worked for had two Datsun which became Nissan.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
11 and 44 are your main hots, 22 and 33 will be joined at the neutral bus.

S15 is the same as 11, S16 is the same as neutral and S44 is the same as 44.

13 is hot at all times, unfused, 14 is the hot while running wire commonly used for ignition coil, fuel valve, etc. and 25 is "ignition stator trigger coil" according to my old sheet. Never worked on anything with a wire 25 so not real sure about what it does exactly.

NiteFarmer

Registered
Thanks Birken,
It appears I have two S15's. Would that be correct or did I read it wrong?
Am going to post dist pics soon.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
With the distributor in that condition I don't know if you are going to be able to get it to run. Those parts are hard to figure out.

The rest is not really a big deal to figure out.

drumfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2018
Found a reference to that distributor in a forum for Datsun 1200's. Might check that out, and see if you can get a proper cap and rotor, or a replacement distributor. They even came with electronic type stuff, but may need other external parts to make that work. Seems like the parts stores should be able to cross-reference the number, and find the proper stuff.:shrug:

NiteFarmer

Registered
Thanks Birken, So if I connect the S15's to 11 and the S44 to 44, I should have 240v across these two wires, correct? I don't want to fry something or cause myself more work by getting in a hurry.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Follow the S15s out and tell me where they go. I have the manuals for this unit, on paper. But back in those days they only printed general theory. They expected the technician to do the rest. So I don't know exactly where every wire goes until you tell me.

NiteFarmer

Registered
Ok, if you look at pic #2 labeled Generac inside, the black box all the way to the left, (possibly the voltage regulator?), one goes here and the other one goes to the gage switch.
I am also going to post a pic of a box that I thought was the voltage regulator that mounts underneath the panel compartment, what is this? It is labeled 12OEOH. Since it has 12 on it, is it possibly the VR for the battery/alt?

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
The black box all the way to the left in the #2 original picture is the generator 120V voltage regulator.

The one in the new picture is probably a battery regulator but without wire numbers I can't say for sure.

If this is like the newer ones, the alternator is a permanent magnet device which makes AC on 2 wires, which goes to the regulator and gets rectified and regulated there.

pegasuspinto

Registered
To clarify the above post, he means the battery charge alternator. The device on the bottom is indeed a the battery charger rectifier/regulator.

Wire #25 is ignition stator trigger coil, goes to the - terminal on the ignition coil

Wire #5 is a spare wire for the DPE winding, to bypass the internal thermal fuse. The fuse is buried in the stator and not replaceable.

Your extra #13 may go to the starter, as a battery +

case630

Registered
I have a Dayton 4W118D 10/12Kw 120/240V 1/3phase 12 wire reconnectable generator which appears identical to the unit you have and I have the owners manual and parts book. The wiring diagrams are not legible. The engine appears identical. The owner's manual says the engine is a 1.2 liter Nissan industrial engine. The parts list for the unit did not contain the cap and rotor etc. but there was a hand written list of parts ordered for the unit which included the following:distributor cap - Standard S1JH180 . The rotor is shown as Standard S1JR113T. I looked these up on line and they look identical to the parts on my distributor. Your local auto parts store should be able to cross the Standard Ignition numbers without any trouble. I also found the 1.2Liter Nissan engine was used in a 1986 Nissan Micra (Base model) hatchback so you can probably find it that way too. Didn't find the points part number but those you can probably get using the car identification above.
If you have the lead numbers from the generator please post what is connected together and what is loose and I will see if they match the lead numbers coming out of my generator. If your unit is the same as mine I should be able to send a copy of the wiring for the voltage/phase that you need. If it is possible please post a picture of both sides of the engine showing how the radiator hoses are hooked up. Mine is missing the hoses and the way they are hooked up is not as straight forward as you might think. Hope this is helpful. Good luck