• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Generac/Dayton 4W118 LP gph and other Q's

Steven Wheeler

Registered
Good evening all,

I was quite happy to find this forum which I stumbled upon searching for information on my Dayton 4W118 generator. The unit was purchased new in 1993 and served my parents well for 21 years until the mice abused their adopted happy home amongst the control panel wiring. What makes blue pvc so tasty? And why would you put your bathroom directly above a $75 switch and a junction block?

All that is sorted now and I'm ready to fire it up once I get fuel to the input. The generator is now mounted to a trailer for jobsite and power outage duty and I will be installing two 100 lb. LP cylinders for fuel. My problem is, I don't have an owners manual so I'm not sure of the fuel consumption rate for this unit. Also I have no idea which setting on the replacement voltage switch is which. I will have an electrician friend come over with a meter once it's running but since the switch has no stops and the knob can be installed in any orientation I'm not sure where to set it.

So before I get too wordy and you folks get annoyed by the new guy, can anyone help with the following:

Gallons/h or Btu/h for a Generac 4W118 (M12 Nissan motor)
Is there anywhere to obtain a manual?
What do the 0,1,2,3 stand for on the voltage switch?
What was my fourth question?

Thanks for your time

Steve

Jack Hottel

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Steven,
I have a copy of Dayton's manual on 4W117 & 4W118 Generators in PDF I can send you. It is not perfect since it was a multi generation copy when I got it from Dayton some years ago, and some of the diagrams are basically unreadable. It also may refer to an earlier version than yours, since it shows the Mazda TC 1.3 Liter engine. That engine was also used in the Generac SGO10 unit, as well as the Mazda Mizer and GLC cars. Generac used any engine they could get
Jack Hottel.
If you want this I need an email address to send it to.

Steven Wheeler

Registered
Hi Jack,

The manual was quite helpful. I learned that running at full load requires about 10 lbs. of fuel per hour and the switch is for changing inputs to the meters so you can monitor each leg of power.

Now I just have to get the proper regulator and hoses and fire this unit up and test it.

Steve

Jack Hottel

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Steve,
Glad it helped. I got it when I was trying to find info on the used SG010 I got for my BIL back in '87. It took me years to find out the engine was the Mazda, thanks to the rise of the Stak. It's been a good unit.
Good luck,
Jack Hottel

Malcolm D

Registered
Happy New Year All
I too am happy to find this forum and hope it's still active.
I have a Dayton 4W118 NG generator that I use for a stand-by at my house. It has been reliable for quite a while but is now giving me problems. It began as an intermittent problem, when the unit is started the voltage climbs up to where it belongs (220v) then suddenly drops to about 50 volts. The hertz remain constant at around 62. This was an intermittent problem but now happens on every start-up and does not correct. I have checked the brushes and anything obvious in the wiring with no success. My best guess is that the voltage regulator has gone bad. Of course that part is no longer available.
If anyone has any suggestions or a voltage regulator, I am open to all options.

Thank You All

Malcolm D

Registered
According to a manual that I got from a Grainger rep the part number appears to be 67680. The connector for the regulator I have has numbers hand written they are 260D and under that 62058 or 62053.
What do mean by NLA?