• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

General Electric Type MP4 1-1200 Form B

Vinnie317

Registered
I have a General Electric Continuous Current Generator Type MP4 1-1200 Form B Serial #121978 direct coupled to a General Electric type GM 27 two cycle Form B7 engine. The latest patent date is 1902.
It was installed at my summer camp on Lake Ontario in 1923 to run the electric lights and did so until 1934.
Does anyone have any information on this machine? It turns over freely and I would like to get it running

Vinnie317

Registered
It runs!!
Replaced broken priming petcock, put in a new spark plug, lubed up the bearings and sprayed some ether into the intake. Cranked up engine with a drill powered friction drive.
Now to clean up carb and replace some gaskets to get it to run on gasoline, can anyone suggest a gas oil mix? I have some 25:1 boat gas

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Those oldies were run on a very rich oil ratio as most had bronze bearings on the rod and the mains. To be safe I'd run something heavier than modern oil. Like 30-40 weight non detergent oil at 12 or 16:1. It'll stink but you won't burn that precious oldie up.

DKamp

Registered
If that engine has a sump pan with oil in it, the circumstances might be a little different... it may have been designed to run on no mix but certainly start in on an oil mix of at least 32:1, and search thoroughly for anyone who'd have information on it.

Vinnie317

Registered
Engine does not have an oil sump so I assume needs mixed gas. Per the nameplate it is a 2 cycle engine. Main bearings are lubed by large grease cups.

Still looking for paperwork on this machine