• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Generator Oil Change Intervals 3600 RPM Gas

Tim0477

Registered
What was the reason for the tear down at 4k? Some other part than the engine give up the ghost? Cam finally wiped out?

Tim

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
What was the reason for the tear down at 4k? Some other part than the engine give up the ghost? Cam finally wiped out?

Tim
Sorta. Cam was actually cast, but rivet on decompression pall worked loose alowing pall sideways movement... where it beat the crap out of cam drive gear on crank. Damage to gear enough to bind between crank and cam. Only damage to engine, but sufficient to DOA it. Wasn't a problem for other use as I had several brand new straight cranks. But trashed gen taper crank. So have good non-gen motor.
Doc

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Worth further investigation.
I will look for that stuff and try it.

What is the exact name of the product?
Pure molybdenum disulfide powder. (The "moly" in "moly grease") One time treatment is one rounded teaspoon mixed with third oil change. Combined with drainplug magnets cleaned every oil change. Oil change at least every 100 hours runtime.

https://www.amazon.com/Molybdenum-Disulfide-Powder-Space-Saver-Bottle/dp/B00WS4B9N8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1542560561&sr=8-8&keywords=Pure+molybdenum+disulfide

Doc

Newoldstock

Registered
Worth trying!

reminds me....

I remember you used to be able to see the graphite powder in some oils.
Grand Pri brand snow machine oil had to be shaken well to keep it in suspension and over time you could see the black layer in the bottom of a gas can.

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Hmm, I don't see any of the new pictures.
Just checked, link sharing is enabled. Should see total of ten pics. One shows crank end, one shows me holding cam with loose decompression pall that did damage to engine. (Reason for teardown.) I probably ought to just upload all pics I took during teardown.
Doc

Update: Okay I uploaded ALL pics I took during teardown. The good, the bad, the redundant and the ugly. (I tossed a couple in the bit vapor bin, due to being too blurry.)

Last edited: