• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Generator voltage parameters

Railroads

Registered
Depends on the type of generator. Most of the time we adjust for frequency and the voltage just happens to fall in place. Frequency no load should be 60-62HZ. Or 50-52HZ depending on the location. America or Europe.

On generators with no voltage regulator the voltages could be as high as 135 volts or 255v once engine rpm is adjusted for correct frequency. Frequency is more critical for most motor and transformer loads. Too low a frequency and they can run too slow and burn up for induction motors. Transformers can draw too much current for magnetizing the steel and run hot. Too high a frequency is just as bad and can cause issues in transformers and cause induction motors to run above rated RPM.

If the generator has a voltage regulator adjust for frequency via engine RPM and then tune the voltage regulator for correct voltage output. Only higher end sets are so equipped most of the time.

Robert

opus

Registered
My apologies, my question was vague. This is just a general emergency type home generator. I've got it set pretty tight I think. My no load is 123-124v and load volts is where it needs to be. I had nothing to measure hz today, just voltage.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
My apologies, my question was vague. This is just a general emergency type home generator. I've got it set pretty tight I think. My no load is 123-124v and load volts is where it needs to be. I had nothing to measure hz today, just voltage.
Go to a big box store and buy a kill a watt meter for about $25. It's a handy tool to set freq and to see what loads you are using.

Attachments

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
For the older Onan saturated pole generators, 130 to 110 volts no load to full load is in the ball park. Most times you can do a bit better, but not by much. Not great voltage regulation, but the price you pay for simplicity and no expensive voltage regulator to fail. The problem is not so much the voltage at the generator, but the voltage at the load. With no regulator to maintain 120 volts at the generator line loss becomes more of a factor. For example, using 100 feet of #12 between the generator and load with a 20 amp current, the voltage drop is about 6.3 volts. If the generator output voltage was 110 volts at a 20 amp current draw that would give you 103.7 volts at the load, which is getting marginal. The same 20 amp draw using a #14 extension cord would give you a 10 volt drop, turning 110 volts at the generator to 100 volts at the load.

A handy voltage drop calculator:
https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?

opus

Registered
For this one it is this: https://youtu.be/-gsQBKDOE2Q

And its wired into the meter, so no real drop. Its a 10k head. There is a idiot gauge on it. No load it is at the top limit of the green.

I'll need to get my kill-a-watt to check it out to be sure but I was curious nonetheless.