• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

George White No. 6 Individual Steel Thresher

Gearjammer Jake

Registered
Hello all,

I am new to Smokstak, and antique equipment in general. While I have spent my entire life on my father and grandfather's farms, this machine is my first personal foray into collecting. As such, I have some questions. But first, the story of the hunt!

This is how I first laid eyes on the old thresher. My father was doing custom planting for a local Amish family, and he sent me up the road to another Amish man's barn to get the seed we were to use. Upon opening the door of the barn, I was greeted by the sight of the dusty relic.

Upon further inspection, the thresher proved to be a Canadian built George White No. 6 steel thresher. While I know very little about this particular brand--or threshers in general--i knew enough to see this machine was in stellar shape. When it was mentioned that the machine could be for sale, I knew it would be coming home on the back of my truck!

Attachments

ulgydog56

Registered
jake.. nice fine, the amish are famous for doing mods on old equipment, bring her back to original..:brows:

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
George White was still in business into the 1980s. Not sure when it quit making the No. 6, but perhaps in the late 1950s? They were also sold under the Massey-Harris name, and I think GW made them for John Deere for Canadian sales.
There are still quite a few around Ontario. I owned one a few years back but never threshed with it. They are a reliable mill.
The Amish folk seemed to move around between Canada and the United States, so perhaps they brought this machine with them. The Amish and Mennonite folk were buying threshers for use, and maybe still are. However, I have noticed that the younger Mennonites up here are gradually shifting away from the old ways.

Gearjammer Jake

Registered
Thank you for all the kind words and helpful replies. As I said before, I still have a lot to learn!

To continue my story, I went last Saturday and retrieved my thresher from Amishmen I purchased it from. To make a long story short, things didn't quite go as planned! We ended up having to use a hand winch to lug the machine up onto my borrowed trailer. As we were finishing loading, there was a sickening splintering noise--the back tire on the thresher crashed through a rotted deck board on the old trailer! We had to scrounge around for a jack and board to right the machine... Never a dull moment.

I did manage to get the machine home safely though. A closer inspection revealed that the paint has been redone on the machine, but all the wood inside the thrashing unit--as well as the stickers on the outside--appear to be original to the machine. Over all, it's still in impressive shape for as old of a relic as it is. I can't wait to hit a couple shows and run some grain though it!

Attachments

Gearjammer Jake

Registered
As an update to the thread, the thresher has been put away for the year. It now resides offsite in a weather tight pole barn with some my father's equipment; although I do still stop by every other week to make sure nothing is living in it!

Last weekend I picked up another toy to go with my thresher: a 1948 Cockshutt 30 (or Co-op E3, depending upon who you talk to). This plucky little tractor is currently being brought back to good running order, and will receive a cosmetic restoration this spring if all goes according to plan. The plan is to have the little red and yellow Canadian tractor to run my red and yellow Canadian thresher with; I think they'll make a nice pair at shows.

1222192157.jpg1221191400.jpg1221191546.jpg