• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

George White Rear Mount

K

kevin

I have recently bought a 1917 rear mount George White steam traction engine and need pictures of such for restoration purposes. Need to know where and how many feul bunkers where on the engine? Also may need some parts. Please help. Hope to have her running by fall 2005 at BLYTHE in Ontario.

F

Farmall Doctor

Re: george white rear mount

Hi, Kevin. What size is your White? Allan Hough of Hougholm Books in Brucefield, On, (you know him, he goes to all the shows), used to sell the George White catalog. I have a copy, and it has all the pics you will need, and they are in color, too. If he is sold out, or out of print, let me know and I will scan some for you. Regards, FD, in Ridgetown, On.

P

Paul W

Hi Kevin What kind of governor is on the eng.? I have NOS parts for the Gardner Govnor. Paul

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

casertractor???????????
Here is an old George White thread for you to sink your teeth into - come on, I know you have things to say and wanted a thread. And there was one hiding here all this time. Not sure who the chap is who started this thread or what he has done with that particular rear mount - maybe you could put your detective hat on and find out?
Anyone have White pix, data, stories, etc.?????? I will try and dig some up. Have spent many quality hours running a 25 GW (sidemount) sawing, threshing, and other duties. It is a pleasure to operate, you can find a working pressure and keep her there without much effort. Stephensons link, open bottom, balance valve, good overall design. White advertised that if you wanted fancy, then look elsewhere, but if you wanted an engine to put to work, come see us!
To answer question in above post, White made their own governors but they were a copy of Gardiner.
G.

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

In keeping with this thread's name, here is some stuff on the White rear mounts. This is the 10x11 engine. In the east they generally called them 28s, but in the west they were sometimes called 25s or 25-30? There are a couple still in Ontario and several across the Prairies and also in the USA. The one shown is, I think, the late Bill Johnson's of Burford, Ontario, likely at an earlier Milton show. This engine is still around but out of service at present.
G.

Attachments

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

A couple more of the White 28hp. The one is at Austin, Manitoba show earlier this year, and I am sorry I don't have the owner's name. Very nice chap though and a very nice looking engine.
G.

Attachments

Bob Oliver

Registered

Hi:
As far as I know, the man that started this thread still has the engine. He had talked to me about doing some boiler repairs but I have not seen it yet.
Anyways, here are some pictures of a George White that we built a new boiler for. There is a picture of when it came here, a couple when the engine got lifted off it and another one when we fired it up for the first time with the new boiler. There was a lot of stuff broke on it but it seems good now. The man is going to build a new roof and new back platform for it. He is from near Gravenhurst Ontario.
We are just getting ready to build another George White.

Bob Oliver

Attachments

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

G, the one at austin is now owned by Mike Darling
we have 1 tall rear rim for a 28, and a diff shaft too.
we seen one wore down extension up in the bush being used for a road drag, and they thought the other was around:shrug: but we never went back for them. is there a set of white extensions in existance?:eek:

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Registered

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post White info. I dug into my collection that I have hidden away, and came upon my White catalogues. The newest is 1901 and the second is not dated though the latest testimonial is 1891 and the earliest being 1889. I do have several images from them, so I hope I have enough room, other wise I will have to send them to cousin G..

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

I think the b&w shot below and the colour ones are of the same engine. B&w came from Mr. Ralph Henderson, famed George White man in Ridgetown, Ontario, the colour ones out of an old magazine article, but not sure of what magazine now?
The 28 White is the one at Ponoka, Alberta owned by Glen Crandall. He got it in the early 60s and put a new boiler on it then. It was an excellent engine and I think is still in Ponoka, maybe at the fair grounds there? Not sure if Mr. Crandall is still around. There is another good 28 at Irrcanna, Alberta owned by Robin Redding, a fine individual who is also building up a 110 Case as we speak!
G.

Attachments

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

As usual about most things, ol' G has been confused about George White ratings and I don't suppose there is anyone reading this who knows or even cares about the proper ratings for the rear mounts!? There seem to be 2 different sets of engines, for east and for west. The 9x10 is a 20hp (or sometimes given as 20-25 for strawburners?), 9 and 1/2x 11 must have been the 25 and then the 10x11 is the 28, or sometimes called 25-30 as strawburners? The smaller rear mounts were once quite popular in Ontario but hard to know why as they were rarely used for serious drawbar work in the east?
The b&w picture is unknown, but a smaller rear mount likely at an Ontario show in the 60s.
There is a picture of ol' G peeking into the front end of a straw burner (25hp?) sitting north of Regina, SK. This is a pretty complete engine with all the straw chute/door, etc.. Boiler may be a bit suspect though.
The other pic is of a 25 at the Grey County Museum in Owen Sound, Ontario. This is a good runner and was once owned by JD Calder of Jerseyville, Ontario. There are pix of it in Norbeck's book.
G.

Attachments

Last edited:

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

Hi G:crazy:

Here is a picture I took down at Greenville Ohio show back in 2003 picture is dark but either a 25 hp or could be a 28 I think
My 2 cents :crazy:
Tim
Sawyer-Master!
That almost looks like it could be a 28? Wonder if anyone has any info on it?
Thanx,
G.

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

Hi G:crazy:

Here is a picture I took down at Greenville Ohio show back in 2003 picture is dark but either a 25 hp or could be a 28 I think
My 2 cents :crazy:
Tim
Tim?
I played with your pic a bit - let's see what happens?
It must be a 28? who owns, any info, where did it come from, etc, etc, etc,???

Craig here.........I replaced it for you...;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Registered

Tim: That second photo of your's would be at I.P.A. at Meaford by the looks of things. That is the White from the museum at Meaford. G. and I saw it that same weekend. It used to belong to a fellow by the name of Stuart Muir out by Ceylon, just west of Flesherton. The one on rubber with the air pig, where the heck is that one? Could you just see 'ol G. going down the 401 on that one?

Robert

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working

Robert

I could see UNCLE G going down the 401 with that EH! ( new ride for uncle G )

I found it on a road trip up north on the side of the road cant remember where but what an engine!
Tim

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

Guys?
I have done some serious road travel on the platform of a George White - high gear slid in, injector on, raging fire, striped hat and overalls, beverage in hand. A truly magnificent experience!
Craig,
Thanx for the superb touch up of Tim's photo! That sir, is why we pay you the big bucks here. You are the KING! Numero Uno!
Thanks also to Colin for identifying Mike Darling as the owner of the 28 at Austin, Manitoba. That engine darn near came to Ontario, the potential buyer being there the same day as Mr. Darling. The Ontario chap backed away from the deal so that Mike would have a chance to keep it in La Belle Province de Manitoba. Great to see he stepped up to the plate and got 'er done! Here is another look at it beside a 25 Waterloo.
Also, maybe ol' Colin knows the owner of this one that is at Rollag? Last I saw it there, they had her steamed up but were having a miserable time with the injectors and were letting her cool down. Don't know if it is still there?
Thanks all,
G.

Attachments

Last edited: