• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Getting much done during quarantine?

hceeB

Registered
28%??!!! I'm so glad that timber and that environment have never been around me. When you think about it, a 4x3 ends up as a 5x4
Scotty you can save some money if you buy 4x2 and wait??? The following is a piece I copied off the internet under the heading of expansion in hardwood timber from moisture.
"In wood this averages about 28% but will vary by a few points depending on wood species, specific tree and even individual boards. As wood dries below this moisture content it shrinks until the moisture content reaches equilibrium with its surrounding environment. lumber is 12% to 15%."
You will not get this if the timber is F8 (rough sawn from the mill) it will more than likely shrink.
Geoff.

Scotty 2

Registered
Scotty you can save some money if you buy 4x2 and wait??? The following is a piece I copied off the internet under the heading of expansion in hardwood timber from moisture.
"In wood this averages about 28% but will vary by a few points depending on wood species, specific tree and even individual boards. As wood dries below this moisture content it shrinks until the moisture content reaches equilibrium with its surrounding environment. lumber is 12% to 15%."
Can you post a link to that Geoff? I'd like to read it as I have never seen expansion/shrinkage of cut timber anywhere near 28%. Even at 10% there would be a lot of cranky buyers.

hceeB

Registered
Can you post a link to that Geoff? I'd like to read it as I have never seen expansion/shrinkage of cut timber anywhere near 28%. Even at 10% there would be a lot of cranky buyers.
Scotty, I must say I was surprised when I read this, but by typing "what is the percentage of expansion in hardwood caused by moisture" into Mr Google, this is the first article:
"Hardwood does not shrink or swell equally in all directions. A change in moisture content of a piece of hardwood flooring from 0% to 28% will increase the size of the piece approximately 0.1% along the LENGTH of the board, and 5% to 15% change in size in WIDTH of the strip with plain sawn flooring.Jan 29, 2018"
But I will in future put my glasses on and read more intently before opening my mouth.
The article is referring to the increase in moisture content NOT expansion. So save your money and don't rush out and buy big piles of 4 x 2.
Geoff

RustyNumbat

Registered
Might just forget about joining them and just have them as a spaced deck instead. Might have to use some different timber in that case.

RustyNumbat

Registered
That'd be too much work and love for this crap old trailer :D

Got into the brakes of the Allis B today, the brake bands are missing! Hopefully they're with the bits and bobs the seller still has waiting for me to collect...