• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Getting much done during quarantine?

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Got the Kero New Way going. The video is pretty short again, sorry. Magneto played up in the wet at a rally a while ago. Took the points assy out and cleaned points. The ignition timing was out a tooth so fixed that. It's running pretty well now. The fan fairly hums, 22" down to 1 1/2" means a few revs! This is an original engine, has New Way oiler, so I put in an original New Way plug for the occasion. Must be about 1916. During 1st world war. Interesting, they have ground the "Robert Bosch Germany" off the maggy, I guess it might be harder to sell with that ID on it during the war? It had a guts full of oil, so oiler is off for this run.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Mine is on the die cast end. They just ground the embossed writing. There is a site that tells you bosch mags age from it's number. Would be interesting to see if they match war years. New Way went to Liberty Mags for a while, I wonder did they start restamping Bosch then actually making Bosch copies?

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
I've been looking in the sheds for an engine that I wanted to give a run but can't find it. If anyone comes across a grey Monitor please let me know. I'm buggered if I remember where I put it.
Bastard.
Cheers Scott

Scotty 2

Registered
Seems your scrap man took more than just a battery.
Different places. Most of the engines are in town and that battery was out at the farm. Funnily enough I just came from different scrapie and got a replacement battery for the one the scumbag scrapie took. I got sick of charging a buggered battery up each time I wanted to start Pat the Freeway.
It's got me worried now. I even pulled all the dust covers off. Another look tomorrow. About all I found was another box of spanners and some door mirrors for old cars, and a chainsaw I forgot I had.

This is what I'm looking for

cobbadog

Registered
Scotty your next Monitor will HAVE to be called "Lizzard".
Yes during both world wars the Germans were known as Bosch.

Scotty 2

Registered
I've been looking in the sheds for an engine that I wanted to give a run but can't find it. If anyone comes across a grey Monitor please let me know. I'm buggered if I remember where I put it.
Hello all
Mrs Scotty and I were having our porridge and having a bit of a yarn and she asked me what I'm doing today. I explained my saga and showed her the video and she started laughing. It was about the same sort of laugh as she let rip when I near cut my ear off a few weeks ago.
Anyways the reason she was laughing was because apparently I let a mate borrow the Monitor to put on the back of his truck to take to a show. She told me I even took pictures. Then it all came back and it was nearly 2 years ago. The picture is dated 6/7/2018. I really need to get a blackboard and write on it who's got what. I have lost so many books and tools over the years simply because people don't return them. Bastards.
So, no need to look for the Monitor anymore. Champion!! Now I have to remember where the trolley with wheels is. I made a special for his truck so it wouldn't damage the tray. And they're my hemp ropes!!!! I gotta remember my ropes.
Cheers Scott

jayvee

Registered
You let people borrow your stuff. M-a-a-t-e! you need a good swift :kick:
Can't remember how many times my dad told me never to lend my "stuff" to anybody
If anyone wanted a specific tool they either brought the job to you or you went with the tool.
Also said, Do you know why you never let anybody borrow your vehicle, trailer, chainsaw, missus, etc?
It's because you know they are going to come back f###ed!

Here endeth the lesson. :rotfl:

cobbadog

Registered
What a great mate he is !! More like that thieving scrappy. Sounds like you have been attracting the undesirables up there mate. Time to make the phone call and a few demands to bring it back along with the rope.
I am very greatful when I borrow something from anyone and I work the job around picking up what I am borrowing, use it, clean it and sometimes repair it and return it on the next day. Just theway I was rared and because of it I can borrow some of the obscure toys that you would use once in a life time.

Scotty 2

Registered
What a great mate he is !! More like that thieving scrappy. Sounds like you have been attracting the undesirables up there mate. Time to make the phone call and a few demands to bring it back along with the rope.
He is a good bloke. I just forgot he has it and the rope was my idea to be kinda authentic.
He has a bit of our gear and things like magnetos and such is on a shelf labelled Scotty. I hadn't noticed the engine on the truck because it has its own special bay in the shed and that bay has walls all the way around it. Actually he has special sheds for his finished vehicles and each vehicle has it's own walled bay.
He travels a lot around very rural Australia looking for tractors and vehicles and finds me lots of stuff. When he's home we catch up and have a yarn while trying to figure something out. He used to get a sign writer to do the orange Fordson on his E27's. Now I do it. Plenty of time for a cuppa and sticky beak between coats. He's OK. Actually I think it's time for an engine change. I'll have to look in the shed and see we can swap the Monitor for.

Now the bloke we bought the big trailer off....he's a different kettle of fish. He sold the trailer but wants to borrow it. After the 3rd time in 6 months (I reckon if you needed one 3 times in 6 months, you need one full time) I changed the plug to a 12 pin and wired the trailer up so only a 12 pin plug with auxiliary power will work (no ground on the 7 pin side connected). He asked to borrow it again and said he had a 12 pin socket on his ute but an adapter came out and when we checked the lights they didn't work. Bugger :ROFLMAO:
As a side note: When I rewired it a couple of weeks ago I found some disturbing things in the wiring (remebering this trailer was factory built in Australia). One was really undersized wire to all the electric brakes, another was the exclusive use of scotch lock connectors for everything, another was the fact they put holes in everything with the welder. They just burnt their way through (an example in the picture). The other was unimaginable to this broken down sparky dude. Twisting the wires together. They twisted the wires together for the brake-away switch. For those who don't know, that switch locks the brakes on if the trailer leaves the vehicle. The stainless wire coming out the front is attached to the vehicle and pulls out activating the switch.

IMG_20200527_153858.jpg

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Yeah scotty, what is it with trailers. Every one I encounter are hacked up and wired wrong and nothing works on them. Hook them up to your ute and there's a 80% chance they'll short out your vehicle blowing every fuse in it . Holes where there shouldn't be holes and 47 different types of wire throughout the things. And the scotch locks! Guaranteed to make an electrical connection for 1.5 days until the corrosion sets in or they fall off.
Of course every light is broken and it seems that the owner made a point to walk around the trailer kicking every one to pieces.

karragullengine

Registered
Every trailer i get the wiring is terrible too. I make a point of rewiring them, really is a simple job i don't know why people make such a mess. I solder and heat shrink all my joins. I have seen some real dodgy stuff, one they had just twisted the wires together without even putting insulation tape around the joins, and left them dangling under trailer. I have another one a need to do now.

Jeff S

Registered
Bought this trailer new and wiring was awful. Instead of using the correct size butt connectors they cut all but one strand of the wire on all the connections IMG_20180820_104320.jpgIMG_20180820_104323-1.jpg :spew: I have to agree with you guys it's not that hard to rewire and then we know its right. My trailer came from tractor Supply company so it's one of those deals where if you have a problem you can't take it back to them.

cobbadog

Registered
When I ordered my 7x5 box trailer I specifically ordered all LED lights and paid the small amount extra for them. When I went ot pick it up they fitted a standard globe style number plate light and I told them about it. They claimed that it was a LED so I made the offer to them that if I kick the crap out of it until it falls on the ground will I find a light globe? They then knew I meant business and replaced it straight away.
As for the wiring it was not too bad but like everything always room for improvement. Somehow I managed to crack a stop/tail light so I bought another replacement and started with the same procedure as mentioned above, solder and heat shrink. This bought me to the issue and I did the best I could using various diameters of heat shrink and that is where you either have to join 3 wires together or you need to break into a long tail light wire to branch out elsewhere, how do you make that weather proof?

Scotty 2

Registered
This bought me to the issue and I did the best I could using various diameters of heat shrink and that is where you either have to join 3 wires together or you need to break into a long tail light wire to branch out elsewhere, how do you make that weather proof?
Resin cored heat-shrink. They might call it glue filled or glue lined now. It's the ducks guts it is. I used it installing submersible pumps and the like. I have it different sizes from teeny weeny up to about 120mm dia.
Jaycar sell the smaller sizes which are good for trailers and the like if it's only weather you want to try and keep out. Or smear some neutral cure silicon on the joint and then pull the heat-shrink over and shrink. Done that before when I didn't have the resin cored stuff handy.
Also there's different qualities in heat-shrink. Some only shrink about 25% of their original size. Better stuff shrinks 50% and better still is about 65-75 or more % shrinkage. You can also get different wall thicknesses. I have a lot of Cabac thick walled stuff. https://www.cabac.com.au/products/tapes-heatshrink-and-jointing/heatshrink/1525
I put some of the resin lined heat-shrink over the 12 pin trailer plug so old matey couldn't look in. If the heat-shrink wasn't there I was going to go off just like a bride's nightie.. Luckily he couldn't take it anyways. The lights didn't work for some reason :rotfl:
Handy hint, don't store heat shrink near the roof in the shed........

Last edited:

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Trailers sit unused 80% of the time so frame earths oxidise, and connections develop resistance. I usually will buy a cheap house type extension cord and cut it up for the wiring. I'll run a separate cord to each lamp with all of them running to a junction box near the front of the trailer. A glob of silicone sealer at each light keeps the connections perfect. Inside the lamps all the contacts get coated with silicone grease. As water likes to get in past the lenses these are sealed with silicone sealer. Now they'll go many years with no failures unless of course some effwit breaks the lamp off.
*Or effwit me rolls a big log into the lights on the wood splitter vapourising it....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...2&toolid=10001&campid=&icep_item=323369231228