• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Gilson 60 Speed - Governor Finger

dlmauk

Registered
I am helping a friend restore a Gilson 60 Speed. It is missing the governor finger and pin. Does anyone know where i can find these parts or has anyone have information on how to reproduce it. I do not have a good photo or illustration of the missing parts either. If someone can provide even this it would help alot.

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Do you know the size of your engine?. If not the piston and flywheel size should help to find the right parts to copy, I have a 3 or 4 HP(forget which!)Gilson Guelph engine.
Nathan.

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Dont know if this will help you https://youtu.be/Y-lGrqIdtSs I thought this was a 13/4hp now I think a 3 hp it has a bigger bore and wheels than a 13/4 I know of in Iowa. It is going in for surgery and a rebore after 3 hp Challenge gets out of the ICU for a crank replacement soon...Also there is another vid of it to on play list without the Choreboy belted to it running without load..

dlmauk

Registered
it is a 3hp but missing the tag from the guard. i found a Gilson Instruction Manual on-line which has a parts schematic but it only shows a top-view of the governor finger. Would like to see a side-view of the part to better understand what i am looking for and possibly make one if i have to.
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:39:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31:45 AM ----------

Rich, just watched the video and this is the best view of the governor finger i have seen so far. Really helped with understanding the movement/action. Might be a difficult item for me to make if i can't find the actual part but at least i have a better idea of what i'm looking at.

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
I have the same engine. I should be able to get some pictures of what you need this weekend.

dlmauk

Registered
Any pics and if possible some dimension (length, width, etc.) would be very helpful. Thinking it will be a small miracle to actually locate this governor finger and likely will need to cobble something up to try and make it work. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:50:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48:01 AM ----------

Denis, thanks for taking the time and providing the pics. This is the first side-shot of the governor finger i have seen. Any information is helpful. You don't have a spare one of these sitting around do you?:)

dlmauk

Registered
Neverfear, pics were helpful. It appears that the piece on the bottom that rides in the channel of the governor is a separate piece, right? The reason i say this is because if looks like a hex head nut/bolt in the pics. Can you measure the overall length of the governor finger (not including the finger plate? This would help because i think i will have to try an make one. Any other dimensions would be great as well.
Thanks,
Dave

---------- Post added at 10:20:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16:09 AM ----------

The additional photos are great! I really appreciate you taking the time/trouble to remove the part from your engine to get the dimensions. Could you measure the overall length and take a couple of shots of the bottom and sides?
Thanks,
Dave

---------- Post added at 10:24:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20:50 AM ----------

You are a step ahead of me (or i am 2 steps behind).:)

The pics are exactly what i needed! I think i have a pretty good chance of fabricating something to make this work.

Thanks again!

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
As you can see, mine has a bushing that goes on the pin that rides in the governor collar. I'm not so sure that needs to be on there.
I believe it was added to slow the engine down for show purposes since it would require less action from the weights to latch out.
If you need any other measurements I'll leave the finger off the engine for a few days, just in case.

Although, The pics that Denis posted appear to show a bushing on that pin too? I just thought it odd to have one there but not one on the finger that is attached to the weights.

Last edited:

dlmauk

Registered
Does the finger plate with the slotted screw in it adjust? How far past the casting does it extend out? what does it measure: height, width and thickness?

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
The plate on the finger does not adjust for length. It looks like it can be removed to turn the plate to a new square edge if needed.
The plate on the push rod has adjustment via a screw and locknut from the head end of the engine similar to the pictures Denis posted.
Yours appears to have the latch lower on the pushrod. Can't quite see by the pictures how it's orientated.

The plate is more or less flush with the end of the finger.
Now I see the problem! The pushrod is on your engine upside down.

Last edited:

dlmauk

Registered
You were right, the pushrod was upside down. i've flipped it and it now looks like the photos/videos of other Gilson's i see. Could you measure the plate on the finger for me?

Thanks.

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
It looks like it started out at .125"x .750" square. Currently mine is .690" left to right,as the working edge has worn down some over time.

Last edited:

dlmauk

Registered
Between the photos and dimensions you provided i think i have enough info to make it. Going to give it shot but will be checking the shows this summer to see if i get lucky and find a part!

Thanks for everything!