• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Good Running Model Engines

T

Tony Miller

I am trying to find a nice running model engine and am looking for advice. I realize the larger models sem to run a bit easier than the really tiny ones but are some styles just better performers than others? I know that good workmanship plays a big part in how they will run but I am sure not all designs are created equal.

How do engines like the little New Hollands run as opposed to things like the Breisch/Peters Hired Man or Little Brother or even the Richard Shelley Galloway?

Any advice on chosing an interesting design that will run well too is appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

A

Allen

The Breisch engines were all good solid designs, Shelley has more detailed plans, Yes, those smaller engines (with exception of the Upshur barstock designs) seem to be more persnickety.

Generally - to run well - simpler is better, and larger is better.IMO the Burnett barstock engines all run very well straight outa the box AND at a great price, but the barstock "free lance" design does turn some people off, and the 5 piece crank is a bit more fragile than a solid casting would be....

T

Tony Miller

Allen, Thanks for the reply. The barstock engines do seem to run well but I am after a more authentic design. I favor the New Hollands but know they can be more trying than some others simply because of the design and fuel condensing in the long supply tube from the carb. A great looker that will not run is not going to thrill me much.

Debolt had that unusual Vaughn which I am told runs very well.

Best, Tony

A

Allen

Hi, I actually do know a fellow who is wanting sell a brand new running Vaughn. He likes building them; then he sells them (for a rather hefty IMO mark-up...funny, he seems to have less trouble getting it than I do more reasonable sums--a different customer base?). I simply can't afford to dabble much in the built engine market, a lot of these guys are willing to carry a high end piece for YEARS waiting for someone to meet their price.

Most models, if built by a competent machinist, can be OK runners. The smaller the engine the less "fudge factor" allowable before you have an expensive paperweight.

You didn't specify whether you were looking for kits to machine yourself, or built engines. Here's what models we can currently get, Gas, Hot Air, Steam, from castings to RTR. The gas models are mostly just casting sets. Yes, you can probably get a "better deal" on some of them elsewhere, but a lot of those "other guys" don't support Harry's either.

Model Engines at CHT

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Tony: I have a several models, and those built by the former Seven Mountains Machine Shop all run well. I have a few others built independently which are fairly good. Most models usually need a bit of tinkering to get them running right, but that's just part of trying to have fun in NJ . Ocassionally, the models can be a bit frustrating , but so can the big ones . Paul at work in Pa. on 3rd shift, on break .