Got kicked off Ebay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SlickBeav

:shrug: Well, here we go again. As most of you remember the big notorious Julien scam last year at this time. I listed 4 engines for sale last night and its all going good. (hercules, Economy, Handy Andy and Abenaque) for those who didn't see it. Checked the stuff around noon today and its doing well. Go to check the stuff at 5pm and its ALL GONE!!!! Im starting to get the feeling that Ebay doesn't like me. In my ad description I specified that Paypal users please add 3% to the total to cover the fees. Well I guess thats a no,no now too. I learned all of this after checking my email to see what the beef was this time. I just don't understand where they are coming from not letting me the seller use that to my discression. If you don't want to pay the 3%, because I'm not paying it just to get my money, then send me a check. We all pay buyers premiums at sales anymore and thats getting very common. I think that ebay makes out pretty good just off the commission on selling stuff. Now they want to nick you to do a wire transfer and I cant back charge the buyer for paying that way. I just don't understand how that makes any difference to them, I am still paying the fees irreguardless. If I want re-imbursement I don't see the crime. Anyhow, I re-listed my stuff without accepting Paypal and well try it again. A warning or 24hrs to edit the ad would have been nice. Ebay's getting "too big for their britches" if you ask me. I think its time somebody else comes out with a similiar online auction site because they need some competion. Thanks to all you guys out there who were bidding and dont let this little distraction worry you. Thanks again, Ryan:wave:

F

Franz

Change the wording to "a 5% convenience will be charged to users of certain forms of payment" and let buyers ask what the forms are.

EPay is becoming a miserable hole. They have become so greedy they are holding ebanking trnasferrs for 5 days to make additional profit on the float.
When I use a credit card, the seller is paid the next day. When I use an Etransfer from my PayPal account, the bastards work my money for 5 days before paying the seller. Real convenient.

Mike Dennis

It is against Federal law to charge extra for credit card use. I assume PayPal falls into that category.

It IS legal to offer a DISCOUNT for cash, check or moneyorder. Reword your ad and they can't bother you.

mopar92

I agree with you most people dont realize it until they sell something for the first time. I think a fee is ok but it shoudnt depend or vary on the selling cost of the Item. What they do isnt any more work for a $20.00 item than for a $2000.00 item. Get my point.

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
The PayPal rule about not charging extra for using the service has been in effect for a couple of years now, but ebay is tightening up on its misuse.

I have no problem with ebay or PayPal rules or charges, they state what they are up-front, you don't HAVE to use them, but if you do, they give you all the details before you start.

I know that regulations are different between PayPal UK and PayPal USA, but generally I have had no troubles with either.

In a recent dispute with a non-responding USA seller, I used the PayPal Dispute Resolution service with success, got the item delivered and I am quite happy about the system in general.

YMMV

Peter

Tony Leonard

Hey, maybe the name "SlickBeav" scares Ebay. :eek: They don't want you to be too slick for them and cheat them out of any of their easy earned money. :uhoh: I bidded the first round and will start bidding again. Nice engines, thanks for offering them up. ;)

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
It is against Federal law to charge extra for credit card use. I assume PayPal falls into that category.

It IS legal to offer a DISCOUNT for cash, check or moneyorder. Reword your ad and they can't bother you.
It must be in how you word it. Most auction houses that charge a buyer's premium charge an additional 4% for credit card transactions.

Fred M.

I can see that I'm outnumbered by eBay sellers!

From a buyer's perspective, the various fees mentioned above are part of the cost of doing business. To require any kind of premium or service charge is akin to requiring a fee for direct pickup or scalping on shipping charges. If you can't afford to sell without it, you can't afford to sell.

Fred

Forrest A

It is an unwritten fact that sellers mark up product to recoup CC fees, don't let anyone kid you on that. You could include a handling fee or wrapping fee...

It's hard to justify 3% when your eBay sales averages $7.30.

Forrest A

Ironman

Fred M. said:
I can see that I'm outnumbered by eBay sellers! From a buyer's perspective, the various fees mentioned above are part of the cost of doing business. To require any kind of premium or service charge is akin to requiring a fee for direct pickup or scalping on shipping charges. If you can't afford to sell without it, you can't afford to sell.
Fred, have you ever SOLD an item on Ebay??? Evil-bay charges listing fees, picture fees, reserve fees, and then charges a commission on the sale. Those fees alone amount to quite a bit and are, as YOU worded it, the cost of doing business. Now in order for a seller to make things easier for the BUYER, Paypal charges the SELLER another 3% if the BUYER uses a credit card for making the purchase. If the buyer is from another country, the SELLER is charged ANOTHER fee because of the conversion from that country's currency to US dollars.

I'm not pointing any fingers at you or anyone else for that matter, but I'm quite tired of all the crybaby whiners that have only ever bought items on Evil-bay that don't understand why sellers put reserves on items, or why the seller would want to recoup the fees that Paypal charges the SELLER to make things convenient for the BUYER. BUYERS can sit in front of their computer on their lazy duffs and punch a couple of keys on the keyboard, make a purchase, and pay for it convienently with Paypal by punching a couple more keys on the keyboard. A few days later, that item magically appears on the buyer's doorstep after the postal service employee, UPS employee, FedEX employee, DHL employee or other carrier delivers the package. SELLERS have to take the time to type up a description of the item, take pictures of the item, upload the pictures, deal with packaging the item, take it to the post office, fill out paperwork for shipping insurance, customs forms, etc., and have to pay all of the fees to Evilbay. Some people on this site have mentioned that they will not bother to bid on an item on Ebay if the seller does not accept Paypal. I would be willing to bet that 95% of them have only ever bought items on Ebay and have never sold items on Ebay. If they are too darn lazy to go to the bank, grocery store, or post office to purchase a money order, then I'm sure they are too darn lazy to take the time to list items for sale on Ebay. Unless a person has experienced BOTH sides of the issue, they have no business whining about it. Evil-bay rakes in money hand over fist, and Evil-bay owns Paypal which also rakes in money hand over fist. I agree with the fact that someone else needs to start another online auction service to give Evil-bay some competition.

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Why bang on about "Evil-Bay" ?

If it didn't provide a service that everyone wants, it wouldn't be in business.

It bought PayPal and Skype as prudent business moves, anyone else could have bought them but they didn't.

Nobody has a pop about Google for being the predominant search engine, although everyone uses it.

We buy and sell on ebay in almost equal amounts. and have conducted over 1100 transactions of both selling and buying. We get charged for listings and PayPal receipts etc., but without ebay that stuff we sold would be sitting in the workshop gathering dust, and judging by the volume of engine stuff sold, that goes for a lot of other folks too!

Peter

Fred M.

I'm not pointing any fingers at you or anyone else for that matter, but I'm quite tired of all the crybaby whiners that have only ever bought items on Evil-bay that don't understand why sellers put reserves on items, or why the seller would want to recoup the fees that Paypal charges the SELLER to make things convenient for the BUYER.
I certainly understand that there are costs involved. However, the eBay seller is often selling a used item that has less than its new value unless it is a collectable. In other words, eBay should be compared with selling at a flea market, not at a storefront.

How high the bidding goes is somewhat a matter of chance. To increase the number of bidders, the seller can improve their presentation or list the sale under more categories. Some even advertise on Usenet and elsewhere.

If I have any "whine", it is with sellers that attempt to charge some fee that was not mentioned in the listing. If there are fees listed that I think are unreasonable, I simply won't bid!

By the way, there may be competition with eBay. What about yahoo,
http://auctions.yahoo.com/ ? They may be barely hanging on, but are still there.

Fred

I'm quite tired of all the crybaby whiners that have only ever bought items on E-bay that don't understand why sellers put reserves on items, or why the seller would want to recoup the fees - SELLERS have to take the time to type up a description of the item, take pictures of the item, upload the pictures, deal with packaging the item, take it to the post office, fill out paperwork for shipping insurance, customs forms, etc.
Well? Sorry for putting all you sellers to all the burden.:shrug: Selling on there must be like work in the mines in the old days?
Hope you don't break a fingernail:eek:

Steve Barr

Hey, maybe the name "SlickBeav" scares Ebay. :eek: They don't want you to be too slick for them and cheat them out of any of their easy earned money. :uhoh: I bidded the first round and will start bidding again. Nice engines, thanks for offering them up. ;)
Hey Tony....SlickBeav's shop is locatd just off of the Beaver Valley Expressway in Western PA... I know... I have been to the shop to see an amazing collection of engines. When it snows down there, it is slicker than beaver oil...

Steve

Nick

SELLERS have to take the time to type up a description of the item, take pictures of the item, upload the pictures, deal with packaging the item, take it to the post office, fill out paperwork for shipping insurance, customs forms, etc., and have to pay all of the fees to Evilbay.
Ironman you forgot to mention answering all those stupid questions by bidders who can't read the whole auction description and terms to find the answers themselves! :rant:

TheToolman

I sell on EBAY also.
I really like getting my money in my account as soon as the auction is over. I feel if you do not wish to sell your stuff by ebays rules, sell it some wheres else. pay pal has been verry verry verry good to me. Just pay your small % to them & stop messing a good thing up.

bocephus_k6

Well I dont sell millions on Ebay, but I do agree with Gene's post, I use, and accept money orders and have no problems, you all the time hear of people having problems with paypal so I avoid it like the plague. :)

Brian

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
With nearly 500 sales on ebay i do NOT use paypal and get along fine, it is a rip off and not needed.:bonk:
Gene:

What other payment system can you use that allows virtually world-wide payment in many currencies at such a small cost??

If you only buy and sell within the USA then no problem, but if you have dealings with the rest of the world then there is nothing in the way of a universal payment system.

For us to send cash in $$'s to the USA costs £3.30 for Registered Post, that's nearly $US 7.00. For a Bank Draft it is even more expensive. PayPal charges us nothing to send the money, it is the recipient that pays the charges. Same coming the other way if we are selling.

Most of our transactions, buying or selling are world-wide, we buy a lot in the USA and recently have been selling a few things as well to US-based buyers.

Even in the UK, less than 5% of our transactions are paid for by anything other than PayPal.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.