• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Gray Power King 5hp Hitt and Miss

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018
Hello, new to site, trying to find out about this engine, I'm sure I have timing correct, not sure on carb adjustment.which needle for gas,kerosene ,,no luck getting it started

Attachments

Jeremy Hartle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Gray power king 5hp Hitt and miss

Thats a Nelson brothers built engine. A better picture of the mixer would help but i dont see a gas line for the main tank. Does the mixer have a starting tank? And do you have good fire at the mag?

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018

Hi jeremy,,,,had the mag out and getting spark, gas line was not hooked up but filled the bowl,didn't think I needed the main tank to get started ,,thanks mark

Jeremy Hartle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

The needle to the side is for the starting tank. The needle straight out front is for the main tank. Is the compensating or snifter valve in the end.When you turn the engine over do you here it kinda rattle, like a snort.. Also is the mixer has been off check throttle plate. It should be open when the engine is idle. The governor pulls the throttle plate closed. If its closed at idle that will need to be changed. Trust me ive been there.

Gilbert_Bates

Registered
I've got the same engine, a little later as mine has a Wico EK on it. I've ran mine just off the bowl. My carb is similar, but different, I don't think mine has the bolt sticking out the front of the intake, it's been a while since I've looked at this engine and a few years since it ran. As I recall, I just filled the bowl, cracked the needle a quarter turn or something and cranked until it fired. I'll take another look at it.:wave:

Gilbert_Bates

Registered
My 5hp has the same shaped hopper and has a "Monarch" tag on it, which was the 'house' brand for Nelson Bros. As I mentioned, mine has a WICO EK. I did look at the carb, and the intake is shaped/pointed downward and does not stick out horizontally like this one does.

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018

The engine does snort like you said, not sure about snifter valve, this is all new to me,is this like a tire stem, and where would I install one. It does have a brass plate,,gray motor co. Model n, power king 5 hp, ,5505 so the needle should be open 1/3 or half? I'm going to try and start this weekend

---------- Post added at 06:28:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25:17 PM ----------

Yes brass plate gray motor co. Model n power king 5hp, I'll put pics up,

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'm confused about Nelson bros,,they used gray tags.
Here is a 1916 Gray Motor Co. ad. They claim having 2 lines of engine, the
Power King Line and the Super Power Line of engines.

What is the serial number on the name tag, I can't read the number from your picture.

Also is there a serial number stamped on the face of one of the flywheel?

Denis Rouleau

Attachments

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

It does have a brass plate,,gray motor co. Model n, power king 5 hp, ,5505
Oldironbug, it would be important to look for a serial number stamped on the face of one of the flywheels. If there is a model letter and a serial number there it would be a clear indication that your engine was built by Nelson Bros. and that number will be different from the one on the name tag.

Perhaps the "N" on your Gray's name tag stands for "Nelson Bros."???.
A 5hp. Nelson Bros. would be a "DA" model and a Nelson Bros. model "N" was only rated at 1-3/4hp.

Denis Rouleau

Mike Otis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019

Same hopper as on my 7 hp monarch and I have seen the same hopper on a 7hp gray and at one time I had a 1 1/2 gray all nelson brs engines

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018
Denis numbers on flywheel D-2,hopper has a DA-158,,,,mixer has a F106,,,head DB-10 and number on tag is 5505

---------- Post added at 07:37:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18:11 PM ----------

That bolt sticking out of carb is a choke valve rod ,spring loaded no levers attached not sure how that works, the spring keeps it closed

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Denis numbers on flywheel D-2,hopper has a DA-158,,,,mixer has a F106,,,head DB-10 and number on tag is 5505
What you are listing are parts numbers. What I'm looking for is the number STAMPED on the face of the flywheel, not the number cast on the side of the flywheels.

Denis Rouleau

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here is a picture showing the model and the serial number stamped on the face of the pulley side flywheel on one of my Nelson Bros engines.

In this example the "TA" is the model and "6040" is the serial number.

Denis Rouleau

Attachments

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Anyone else have a Gray "Power King" tagged engine they could check the serial number on the face of the flywheel so we can determine if the engine was actually built by Nelson Bros. or not.

Thanks!
Denis Rouleau

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018
The flywheels are so pitted wit rust and thick paint the stamed serial number would be gone,,would they have stamed in a certain spot, tdc,bdc,
Thanks mark

Oldironbug

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2018

Jeremy, thanks for info finally have it running ,found out the mag didn't have strong spark need to recharge magnets , bypassed mag used a coil batt