• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Gray Spray Paint for IHC LA 3-5hp Engine

Stevie

Registered
Hello. What color Gray spray paint would you all think is the closest to original color gray? THANKS ALL

Jim Walker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/25/2019
Re: Gray spray paint for IHC LA 3-5hp eng

Can any one out there post a photo or supply information on the areas of the LA engine to be painted gray. I have a 1938 LA. I expect the engine case is gray, what about fly wheel, fuel tank, engine skid and fuel mixer? I haven't found a paint diagram out there other than U of Wis history of IHC paint advisory on the Web. Thanks, Jim walker:)

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019

Jim i have seen multiple paint schemes but i believe the correct one is to have the flywheel and belt pulley red and the rest of the engine gray.
If im wrong someone please correct me.
Dusty

Skip Landis

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019

i think Dusty is right for the early ones, but later they went to red i think.

Tom Cwach

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
This is from an original brochure.

The pulley side illustration is not color. The pully is shown darker than the block, the same shade as tha flywheel.

I think the flywheel and pulley are red and the rest gray.:shrug:

Attachments

Jim Gorsuch

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2013
I know that this does not answer the question of what color gray is proper or when -- but this does show what McCormick was thinking in 1934. :brows: My father-in-law's 1937 LA is Gray with Red flywheels and pulley.

Jim Gorsuch