• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Great time at Heritage Park steam school!

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Was lurking again, and thought I should say "hi!"

Great time last week at steam school; while nothing beats the hands on, even the classroom was extremely enjoyable.

My wife didn't get as many pictures as I thought [it seems engines all look the same to her! :p ], but she did take a few very nice ones.

It looks like at least three members who post here were instructors; thanks for some great learning and fun!

Attachments

SteamPilot

Registered
Re: Great time at steam school!

Hello! I was wondering if someone was going to post something about the school at Forest City, IA last weekend. I got a chance to run Jerred's 18hp Greyhound. First time I've really pulled the throttle on a traction engine... until then most of my experience was with firing a steam locomotive or running a stationary boiler, and I do have a few hours of "wheel time" steering my dad's Nichols & Shepard but was never the engineer before. It was a fantastic weekend; please post more pictures if you have them, as I was too busy to take any of my own! :brows:

Looking forward to getting back to Forest City this fall for their show... they really have an awesome collection of steam AND gas stuff.

Brandon

Case-d

Registered

I had the chance to run the 1/2 scale 110 Case. Good weekend! Had a lot of fun seeing everybody.

Daniel Wyman :D

Steam School 2011 005.jpg Steam School 2011 001.jpg

Steam School 2011 013.jpg

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

please post more pictures if you have them, as I was too busy to take any of my own! :brows:
I'll have to look again and see if there are any of you or Daniel; I don't like to post pictures of people unless I know they like their photo on public web.

I did send a few to Jerred, including an excellent one of Jim's sight-glass demo.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

None really jumped out at me Brandon, but I did crop a somewhat decent one of the 1/2 110 while in one of the group shots.

Attachments

SteamPilot

Registered

We were at Forest City, IA. A fantastic school I must say... I haven't attended any others to compare this one to, but I can't imagine a much better one since there was plenty of hands-on time with the engines (they had 13 engines there for us to "play" with) as well as a good amount of classroom time to cover all of the important points regarding safe operation of a steam traction engine. If anyone else was there and has any pictures to post, I'd really appreciate it! :wave:

Regards,
Brandon

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

May I inquire what School you attended since you have not said so?
SteamPilot said:
they had 13 engines there

With a user name like 20minnie...I can't resist noting that half were Minneapolis engines at that!

A really nice variety of engines for the class, including a few return flues, a two cylinder, and the aforenoted 1/2 scale - not to mention enough variety in firebox, boiler, water injection, gearing, and steering to cover nearly anyone's favorites or curiosities.

Did anyone point out "plenty of opportunity to get dirty too!" :D

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Not sure where all I noticed it, but last fall I read several places/threads writing good things about the Heritage Park Steam School; yet, now I can't stumble back across the same information.

Maybe I messed up starting this thread! As the best kept secret in steam, I wouldn't have to worry about finding a seat open next year! :O

chrsbrbnk

Registered
I really appreciate Jerred Ruble letting us run his tractors and all the help from the instructors Definitely got to get to that show this fall!! Chris

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Jerred, thanks for the pictures. Near the bottom of the second page of pictures it looks like the instructors are dealing with a broken sight glass. Is that right? I think that it is good for the students to see what a broken glass looks like in a controlled environment. A broken glass can be very scary if you have never seen it before.

Jerred Ruble

Registered
Andy,

Yes it is what to do if your water glass breaks. It is a short video clip. Just clip on the picture. if you listen closely you can hear Jim Evans talk about how to address the situation.

Jerred

SteamPilot

Registered
It was extremely valuable to see that happen in a "controlled" environment (as much as you can control glass breaking on a pressurized boiler, anyway). It's much less scary to see it happen than a person probably has conjured up in their mind. I'm confident that if I had a water glass break while I was running an engine, I could stay calm and shut the valves (water side first! :D), and it would almost be a non-event other than the danger of broken glass fragments being thrown out every which direction!

And besides, compared to stall/spin training in an airplane, dealing with a broken sight glass is a walk in the park! :eek:

Regards,
Brandon

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Brandon, I have seen two sight glasses break so far. I was a spectator both times. The first time it scared the crap out of me. When I heard that "POP" the second time I quickly realized what the trouble was so it was much less traumatic to me. I think that it is a good idea to get the first one under your belt at a steam school.

isubsmith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2011

I was at the Forest City steam school too. I've been there twice now, and once each to Rollag MN and Edgerton WI.

While Edgerton and Rollag are nice schools, there is just something about Forest City that makes it my favorite. The engine-to-student ratio is about as low as you can hope for, and there is plenty of throttle time on a wide variety of engines. The classroom instruction is also very good and the people involved (Jerred, Lawrence, Wyndham, Jim plus everyone else) are all great people.

I highly recommend it.

cheryl

Registered
I also attended Steam School this year. It was my second year attending and I do have to say that what you learn is invaluable. It is a really great class for the novice and the veteran for a refresher. Not to mention getting to see all the freinds you make while there. Also, being a woman, it was good to see more women in attendance :)

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Howdy Cheryl!

Thanks for the pictures.

Noting gals in the school, one of my favorite shots in our camera I sent to Jerred and is uploaded as #33 on page two of the 2011 Steam School photo gallery! :)

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Maybe I messed up starting this thread! As the best kept secret in steam, I wouldn't have to worry about finding a seat open next year! :O
Ooohh ooooo, no secrecy now, I see someone [Beth?] updated the title! :D

20minnie

Registered
Great to see you all had a great time! And you learned something too! To bad I have to go to an Ohio School, looks like there is at least another choice now.